Things you don't understand watch - have you got things you don't understand?

1 lurker | 59 watchers
Jan 2023
6:43pm, 31 Jan 2023
2,342 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
If you really want your head to implode Fozzy, I've not uncommonly come across manufacturing drawings with principal dimensions in inches (ok often dual units, but designed and drawn in imperial with a conversion then applied), but plate thickness in numbers of mm because of procurement. For stuff designed in the US but built elsewhere mixed units do exist (they're an arse, but are not unknown).
Jan 2023
6:47pm, 31 Jan 2023
19,374 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Yeah, I know about the US, but they're so backwards they're actively walking back to the 1970s with every passing day.

The world (bar US) use metric. Every under 50(ish) uses metric.

We just need to grasp the nettle and eradicate the stupid units once and for all.

Emotional arguments are not convincing that imperial units are worth keeping.
Jan 2023
7:03pm, 31 Jan 2023
217 posts
  •  
Neal
Who is buying just enough petrol for a journey?

I don't see a problem with having the car's efficiency measured in MPG but petrol being sold in litres, they aren't used at the same time.

MPG is used to compare cars when deciding what to buy, or maybe to check how efficiently one is driving, but not when buying petrol.
I don't even buy petrol in "litres" as such, I either just fill the tank or put in a round amount of money (even though I'm not actually using cash so the round number is irrelevant).

I suppose MPG comes indirectly into play in deciding whether to buy petrol - but only in the sense that I know that I get about 600 miles out of a full tank, so if I'm about to drive 150 miles I need more than 1/4 tank of petrol.
Jan 2023
10:30pm, 31 Jan 2023
17,350 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Things I don't understand? Why fozzy is so vehement in not permitting people to use measurements that make sense to them. I know that if a guy is 2m+ then he's tall, but I couldn't tell you what my shortarse 5'6" frame is. I've started weighing myself in kilograms - purely because it's a meaningless measure to me that allows me to not beat myself up for being a fat git. I measure rice in grams, and pasta in ounces. Oh, and I'm 41, so :P to the 50 something comment.

Quite why this causes such a explosion of posts and bitching is beyond me.
Feb 2023
6:22am, 1 Feb 2023
396 posts
  •  
ptr_rnr
I am one hundred percent with Fozzy here, and it's the same point I made on page 38, my post #390.
Feb 2023
6:23am, 1 Feb 2023
143,033 posts
  •  
GregP
~low fives JK~

As a Americanophile Brit I really give a limited number of fucks what other people think on this, but as someone the wrong side of both 5’7” and 75kg I’m happy to measure hot weather either way but cold weather only in C.

Swim in metres, run and bike in miles. Travel either way. Weights and volumes either way. Apart from liquids. I’ve never understood US gallons.
Feb 2023
8:49am, 1 Feb 2023
94,586 posts
  •  
swittle
Horses

Hands
Feb 2023
9:31am, 1 Feb 2023
22,237 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
This is from the Highways Agency and appears to be a very very standard sentence to be used as often as possible:

We’re committed to improving road safety and reducing the number of those killed and/or seriously injured who travel on our road network.

1) no one can be killed AND seriously injured
2) why are they not committed to reducing all injuries?
Feb 2023
9:38am, 1 Feb 2023
26,116 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Horses Hands

Also horse racing in furlongs (and I’m not going to go down the rabbit hole that is horse (and other prize livestock) values in guineas!).
Feb 2023
9:40am, 1 Feb 2023
337 posts
  •  
George Smiley
I would have thought death from injuries was pretty serious

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Why is being 'jungle fresh' considered a desirable quality in salted peanuts?