The Doctor K Cup

3 lurkers | 98 watchers
The seventh annual Doctor K Cup will take place on Saturday October 19th 2024

How to join in

Firstly, add the 2024 Doctor K Cup to your Fetch portfolio.

All you need is a GPS watch or app. On the day, RUN AT LEAST 5K WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR WATCH. The Fetch Benchmark system will pull out your fastest 5k from your run (so you can include it as part of your long run if you like). The person who gets closest to their prediction will be declared the winner (though the judges decision is final!).

It would be lovely if you could upload your 'K' pics to the gallery (make a K shape with your fingers) to help us remember Doctor K and all the Fetchies we have lost.

NB A GPS watch reporting 5.00km will do so from 4995 metres onwards, but you MUST run at least 5000 metres or more. To avoid disappointment add an extra 10 seconds on to the end of your run, just to make sure.

Oct 2023
7:41am, 11 Oct 2023
5,295 posts
  •  
Jaks
Thank you Joopsy.

Well done to the top three.

What a fantastic way to remember all Fetchies that sadly are no longer with us.

❤️
Oct 2023
8:21am, 11 Oct 2023
17,029 posts
  •  
ITG 🇮🇸
Thanks to organisers, algorithmers, and honourable participants.

Congrats to the podium and everyone who got out there to remember those lost xx
Oct 2023
8:30am, 11 Oct 2023
7,325 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Well done everyone and thank @joopsy for once again reminding everyone how bad I am at this :-)
Oct 2023
8:58am, 11 Oct 2023
29,653 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
bigleggy perhaps when you are no longer with us, we'll have a bigleggy cup, where the worst prediction wins :-) But not for a good long while please.
Oct 2023
9:28am, 11 Oct 2023
21,101 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Well done all and esp the great predictors.

For my future DrK Cups.... I paused my watch to cross roads giving me a much speedier time than predicted, should I use this or the 5k which Fetch gives me which is elapsed time?
Oct 2023
9:50am, 11 Oct 2023
29,654 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The results table is generated from Fetch benchmarks, and benchmarks do not exclude pause time. This is because you could run 100 metres in 9.58 seconds, pause your watch and have a little sit down, then repeat another 49 times. So next time, I'd recommend allowing for pause time in your prediction. Or finding a route that doesn't cross roads.
Oct 2023
10:47am, 11 Oct 2023
21,102 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
In that case if it used my paused time I wasn’t far off thanks Fetch 😀 the roads were crazy busy on Saturday for some unknown reason.
Oct 2023
11:58am, 11 Oct 2023
10,062 posts
  •  
GordonG
The results table is generated from Fetch benchmarks, and benchmarks do not exclude pause time. This is because you could run 100 metres in 9.58 seconds, pause your watch and have a little sit down, then repeat another 49 times. So next time, I'd recommend allowing for pause time in your prediction. Or finding a route that doesn't cross roads.

Damn! Running 100m in 9.58 seconds 49 times, and pausing my watch was exactly my plan for next year. Foiled again!
Oct 2023
4:29pm, 11 Oct 2023
7,326 posts
  •  
bigleggy
bigleggy perhaps when you are no longer with us, we'll have a bigleggy cup, where the worst prediction wins But not for a good long while please.

:-) I hope to be around a while yet !!!

But if there was a worst prediction I'd probably start finishing bang on my predicted time :-/
Oct 2023
5:07pm, 11 Oct 2023
48,298 posts
  •  
DocM
well done to the fabulous podium sitters, and all who took part. Thank you Joopsy and Fetch

About This Thread

Maintained by Joopsy
2024 Instructions

Add the following race to your portfolio:

fetcheveryone.com/races/the-doctor-k-cup-10329609

Enter your predicted time by October 18th (the day before the run).

On the 19th October, run at least 5k WITHOUT LOOKING AT YOUR WATCH OR GETTING ANY PACING HELP!!!

RESULTS WILL BE POSTED HERE:

fetcheveryone.com/doctorkcup.php

Fetch will extract the results by looking at your benchmarks for 5k (so for your own sake, avoid tunnels, tall buildings, heavy tree cover, pylons etc). If you are running a local 5k loop, please add a bit on, just to make sure that your watch registers at least 5k's worth of data. But no peeking!

The person who is closest to their predicted time will win the 'Doctor K Cup' for one year.

NB Doctor K was a big parkrun fan - so you can do your run at parkrun, but ***PLEASE*** make sure you cover at least 5000 metres. A GPS watch reporting 5.00km will do so from 4995 metres onwards, but you MUST run at least 5000 metres or more. To avoid disappointment add an extra 10 seconds on to the end of your run, just to make sure.