Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
16 Aug
12:52pm, 16 Aug 2024
3,579 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I wasn't running today so didn't affect me. I did walk down town early and it wasn't too bad then.
16 Aug
3:57pm, 16 Aug 2024
264 posts
  •  
Ian5
Definitely not gloves weather here,still around 18° so little on the warm side for a long run.
Got 20 done,felt a drag towards the end but it always does in the park as the 8th time up the hills starts to hurt.
17 Aug
5:49am, 17 Aug 2024
3,585 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Ian, another good long run done.

I've stuck my head out the window this morning, a fresh cool 9 degrees.

Rest day today. Not feeling so tired today so run planned for tomorrow
17 Aug
10:17am, 17 Aug 2024
3,886 posts
  •  
Big_G
Went along to parkrun today, having missed the last couple of weeks due to Olympics events I wanted to watch. A 2.5 miles warmup, and then decided to give parkrun a bit of an effort, and 1.5 run home.

Went out hoping for about 22mins and was in a small group around that kind of pace. It’s two laps on tarmac, and then the third lap is up a gravel path and around a field, which does include a short, sharp incline. I did 22:08 on my watch so I know on an all-tarmac course I’d be a bit under 22mins. A hard effort but it was nice to turn the legs over, and foot seems good.

That’s 40.5 miles for the week, and hoping for similar next week, possibly nudging to 45ish. We’ll see, but apart from a bad start to the week on Monday it’s been a good training week.

Dad’s stuff is all progressing. Me being me I of course have a spreadsheet, and there is lots on it, but important things progressing and other things being nudged along. Funeral virtually organised, death registered, banks notified, all the hospital equipment gone (thankfully!). I poked my head up in the loft yesterday for the first time in many, many years. I used to use it as a study area, with large desk etc. It’s all tidy but quite a lot of stuff up there - found some old Lego in boxes, scalextric etc. Even found a pair of old Nike spikes, which I had as a kid so they’re probably 35 years old! A proper blast from the past up there.
17 Aug
11:25am, 17 Aug 2024
3,587 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - a good week's training for you and a very decent parkrun time too.

Couldn't have managed without a spreadsheet or two when my Mum died so essential IMHO when dealing with all executor duties.

First visit to the gym since Covid. Only did 30 minutes and muscles are so weak. Hoping I have a better run tomorrow.

I was talking to one of the guys in the gym and he was the same post Covid.
17 Aug
11:55am, 17 Aug 2024
265 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Another good running week,all going the right way.
Shades-Can't remember how long I was affected for but it was days after Boston so wouldn't have been running much anyway.
5 very slow miles today,brings up 50 for the week with tomorrow to go.
17 Aug
12:23pm, 17 Aug 2024
4,327 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: It does affect you for a good while,I think it was 14 days before I went back to PT session.

Nice mileage Ian and Big G.

Just under 5 miles for me this morning .Achilles been a pain and niggly at the moment so trying to build up gradually with hills.
25 miles for the week.
17 Aug
1:00pm, 17 Aug 2024
3,588 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - your mileage is building up nicely. Annoying the achilles is playing up.

There's always one thing or another with this running lark .🙃
17 Aug
1:43pm, 17 Aug 2024
3,590 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I've noticed that these recovery runs are becoming a habit with you now. 🤣
17 Aug
5:17pm, 17 Aug 2024
266 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Regretted going earlier when I felt like the tin man.Can't afford to lose a days training by resting after.
Might go for a 10 tomorrow just to tick off a 60m week,not going to get as high as I wanted by looks of it.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.