Shades Marathon Training

8 lurkers | 30 watchers
19 Aug
8:08am, 19 Aug 2024
3,612 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - hopefully a couple of days rest will do the trick.

I have Barnstaple on 29th September.
19 Aug
8:20am, 19 Aug 2024
3,892 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, yeah, a bit of a step up in terms of daily mileage, as most I’ve done is 10.5. But I was hoping to push that out to about 12 this week, so a combined 13ish will hopefully be okay. Plus this morning was nice and flat, and this evening has hills, so around a mile of that will be walking this evening I’d imagine, plus stopping for the views etc.

Shades, I keep looking at the Motley runs. One thing is that recently I’ve been going out around 6am-6:30, and they tend to start at 9-9:30, so I’m well done before they start. Another is I don’t want to do too much off road - I went through a period where I thought off road was doing my foot some good, but as with most things, maybe in hindsight too much off road was counter productive for it. Although this evening’s run has some off road, about half of it is roads, so I’ll be wearing road shoes. I do also want to do 3 laps of that hilly Haldon route for 10.5 miles at some point soon (possibly this week), which is all off road. Having said all that, Motleys are doing a nice route on Wednesday so I’ll just see how it is with the foot and with everything else going on.
19 Aug
8:26am, 19 Aug 2024
3,614 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - IMHO doing a double is much kinder to the body when upping the mileage, rather than one longer run.

You're getting into the early morning habit now for your runs too.

Some of the Motley runs look very tough off road routes.
19 Aug
9:13am, 19 Aug 2024
54 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Ian, hope that calf behaves.
Big G, I remember having to register both my parents and it wasn't much fuss at all, but that was in Poole - Dorset is a proper retirement destination so I guess they are used to a lot of old folks passing on.
Shades, feeling any better?
Yesterday I volunteered at juniors and went to the gym after. I was going to ride the bike for 20 minutes and do some leg stuff. I did 5 minutes on the bike, one set of glute bridges and decided I couldn't do any more. Some days are like that.
I did a 4 mile Jeff today (4:30/30 again). Aches and pains barely noticeable to start with but much more present by the end. However, not bad considering I ran on Saturday.
19 Aug
10:22am, 19 Aug 2024
3,893 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, that’s mainly because it was recently too hot to run for me later in day. I was seeing runners out after 10am, looking quite comfortable, and I often thought ‘how are they doing that?!’ I know you can train for the conditions, but I just prefer the cooler time of day, although that tends to be more humid. I was out at 5:57 this morning and it was quite dark still.

Cal, good news you were able to get out again today.
19 Aug
10:59am, 19 Aug 2024
3,615 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - I think you're still making progress.

I feel absolutely fine. It's just when I run or do weights there's no energy or strength there. I was talking to some guys in the gym and they say they were exactly the same post Covid so hoping it improves fairly soon.

Big G - my main reason for not wanting to run any later is the traffic. This morning, although running in built up area, it was a mile before I saw the first car.

No need to run in hotter weather unless you want to acclimatise.
19 Aug
11:41am, 19 Aug 2024
4,336 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
It took me 6 weeks till I felt normal running after Covid.

Big G I just think we like the time we run and fits into our lifestyle's and a lot cooler earlier in the day and less traffic and people.

6 miles this morning but Achilles still playing up so running on one good leg at the moment.
20 Aug
6:45am, 20 Aug 2024
3,894 posts
  •  
Big_G
I did the Trotters away run last night, on a a tough route. It was a shame about the weather as the conditions meant there were no views at all, but everyone enjoyed it, and the fish and chips were very good. The pub opposite let us go in there to eat them, as they don’t have a chef on Mondays. I actually ended up leading my group as a) the person who organised it all couldn’t take the group as she’s injured and b) the chap she’d asked to lead it didn’t actually know the route, and hadn’t had time to recce it, so they asked me to do it (she had called me to ask beforehand). But everyone got around safely and enjoyed the hills :) It was nice for me as I could just walk down to the pub (the meeting point) and back, and didn’t need the car. Tired this morning though, and yawning my head off. Foot was a bit tender last night, which does sometimes still happen, but it seems okay today.
20 Aug
7:06am, 20 Aug 2024
3,629 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - not relishing another 5 weeks of this post Covid running, but as long as I get back to at least the poor level of fitness I had before then that's OK.

Do you know why the achilles is playing up?

Big G - just as well you went to the Trotters run to lead the run. No views means shorter 'rest ' breaks 😉 I'm not surprised the foot was a little sore, that was a big jump in training, but good it's settled down today, so no damage done.

Another slow plod for me today, did manage 4 miles. Hard to keep HR down today as very humid.

On the return run I did see my kingfisher again, that's 3 times in the last week
20 Aug
11:13am, 20 Aug 2024
3,895 posts
  •  
Big_G
Just over 5 today at a nice easy effort. It’s another sign that things are moving in the right direction as on this route a couple of months ago I was 1min/mile slower at 10bpm higher than I was today. A couple of months ago I basically didn’t have an easy/recovery pace that didn’t involve a fair bit of walking.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.