Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
21 Aug
2:42pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,647 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I expect it could be along wait for the surgery but you never know, with cancellations and a willingness to travel it might not be so long.

WP - good idea to look for alternative shoes, watch out for those dodgy websites. 😉 . If you put your favourite model on runrepeat.com it could come up with similar shoes for you to look at.

I don't even run in the same model of shoes on consecutive days, only exception is if I'm away from home and without my car, then I'll wear my marathon shoes for recovery run the following morning. My shoes usually

vary from 8 - 12 mm drop.

10mm is considered a fairly high drop, perhaps anything lower might not suit you.
21 Aug
3:40pm, 21 Aug 2024
4,343 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Blimey it is a mind field I maybe gone a while

So 10 to 12 mm drop.
21 Aug
4:04pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,649 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - definitely a minefield. The latest trend is to now change/reduce the drop so it's worth checking the model year on year.

Unbelievably some shoes the drop differs between the mens and the women's model.

Ideally you'd be better visiting a running shop at some time and trying on a few to see what feels right for you.
21 Aug
4:36pm, 21 Aug 2024
4,344 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
That was my thinking andone that holds the shoes I want to look at. Nearest is Cardiff and in my size.

I have a list few shoes to try but not many 12 mm drop.
21 Aug
4:40pm, 21 Aug 2024
4,345 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
It may have to wait till October when I am on holiday but at least gives me time.
21 Aug
5:07pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,650 posts
  •  
Shades
Although most of my shoes are 8mm drop, my preference is for 10mm.

Next time you go to Cardiff then. There must be a decent amount of running shops there and department stores.
21 Aug
5:11pm, 21 Aug 2024
5,124 posts
  •  
kstuart
Pondering seeing if there are different shoes suitable for me as i am off to Manchester for a few days tomorrow so i can call into running shop. Need some more anyway as i currently have two pairs and on of those is my bright green racing pair.
21 Aug
5:22pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,652 posts
  •  
Shades
Keith - what shoes are you using or looking to buy?
21 Aug
5:24pm, 21 Aug 2024
5,125 posts
  •  
kstuart
I've used Adrenaline GTS's for years
21 Aug
5:28pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,653 posts
  •  
Shades
I think I've run 75% of my marathons in Adrenalines. I still have some for training and still love them but don't use them for racing any more.

They hold their price better now, so popular that hard to get them at a knock down price

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.