Shades Marathon Training

6 lurkers | 30 watchers
21 Aug
9:13am, 21 Aug 2024
271 posts
  •  
Ian5
Cal-Amsterdam also has an official buy/sell on their website to increase your chance.
2 days off and leg seems better so hoping it's OK when I run later.
My shoulder has gotten worse again over the last few weeks,went back to docs yesterday and I've got to go back to hospital to get it assessed again,also got some bloods getting done as the MRI showed something with the fluids? Anyway it's not constant pain,can just feel the bone/tendons creaking inside with occasional pain and it should be healed pretty much by now.
21 Aug
9:31am, 21 Aug 2024
3,644 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good the leg feels better but not so good with the shoulder. Hope it's just some extra physio that can help that.

Shoulders are notoriously slow to heal.
21 Aug
9:57am, 21 Aug 2024
57 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Ian, thanks for that. I've put it up for sale. Hopefully it'll find a home as I have the desirable stadium start.
21 Aug
12:25pm, 21 Aug 2024
272 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I was expecting it to be a while healing fully,the worry I have is it's gone backwards the last couple of weeks and the bone seems to be sticking out more again which indicates the scar tissue isn't connecting properly.
7 today,didn't feel amazing in all honesty,think between my arm and leg it's dragged my mind down a bit,hopefully shake it off and crack on again soon.
HCA have sold out now so it should be good,I also had a sneaky look at Seville for next Feb and they sold out a couple of weeks ago,nearly 7 months ahead.
21 Aug
12:59pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,899 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, bad luck on your shoulder. Hopefully the bloods come back with nothing to worry about. I did get my Seville place off the waiting list when I did it so it’s still possible to get a place if you want one.

Cal, I hope you can get rid of your Amsterdam place.

I went to Haldon again today. Last week I did 2x3.5 mile hilly loops and briefly considered a third. This week I went up with the intention of doing 3 and did that, for 10.5. I quite like the laps like this as because the mile splits are all over the place due to the hills, I know I’m I’m slightly under 40mins a loop (including water stop) I’m doing okay, which gives me something to focus on. Today was 1hr58mins so in line with that.
21 Aug
1:01pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,645 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that doesn't sound too good, perhaps you'll have to have some surgery to put you back together.

Had you entered Seville?
21 Aug
1:04pm, 21 Aug 2024
4,341 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian: Hope all goes well and shoulder eases.I know how slow they heal takes forever.

Cal: Hope your place sells for you.
Big G nice laps sounds a good route.

Shades: We do various deadlifts in blocks at the moment trap bar which I love.

6 miles this morning but Achilles still being a pain.I dare not stop for any reason or it may not get going again.Then ice tub it was 15 degrees and a wind I felt cold and my feet never got warm;-)
21 Aug
1:11pm, 21 Aug 2024
3,646 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - xpost. Another great day's training for you. At this rate you'll be able to switch to Cairess's training plan very soon.

WP - I haven't used the trap bar.

Annoying about the achilles playing up again, do you switch to a higher drop shoe when achilles is sore?

15 degrees, you'll be wishing for something that warm once we get into winter. 😉
21 Aug
1:29pm, 21 Aug 2024
273 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Sounds like you're starting to motor now,ideal timing.
I hadn't really thought about entering Seville,just had a look.OH wants to do Barca again so think we're going there in March.I am letting her pick races next year with me choosing Comrades
Shades-Yes surgery was something the physio said when I first had the fall,but obviously it would be the last option for them and myself,and because it's not causing me pain much of the time I'm not sure how urgent I'd be seen as it may be classed as an elective.
21 Aug
1:47pm, 21 Aug 2024
4,342 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have not thought about the heel drop they changed V9 of my shoe which I loved to and checking stats.
V9 heel 26mm forefoot 16mm
V10 heel 44mm forefoot 34mm
V11 8.5mm drop
V12 6.5mm....don't have this shoe

I have one V9 and near end of life and V10 and 11 in play.I prefer V9

I only run in one make shoe Adidas Boston Boost.I may need to look for new shoe which is scary I have narrow feet.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.