Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
17 Aug
5:38pm, 17 Aug 2024
3,592 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - you'll be glad you did today's run when you run tomorrow. Better 5 miles as a tin man rather than 10.
17 Aug
7:03pm, 17 Aug 2024
53 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Nice to find your old stuff, Big G. My folks gave all my old toys away.

My hip's been cranky again all week so no running until today. I went to Aylesbury parkrun with another parkrun friend and had my doubts about whether I should be running at all but it turned out OK. Did a 4:30 run/:30 walk and there was a bit of aching but overall it wasn't bad and, more importantly, isn't bad now. Will see how it feels tomorrow.
18 Aug
7:30am, 18 Aug 2024
3,887 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, yes, spreadsheet definitely needed. Lots of stuff to do, but I’m in no hurry. I have contacted a solicitor and I’m seeing them next Friday. Been having a think about what to do with the place. Probably you know I’ve done a few places up over the years auction properties etc, and I think I’ll do it with Dad’s. I didn’t like talking about it at the time, but he often asked me what I was going to do with it. I did actually ask him a few weeks ago and he had no preference. It is a really quiet area and Brixham is nice, but I can’t see us living there (although never say never), as it’s just cut off from civilisation a bit for us, with no train station, and really just one road in and out. So it’s either sell it as it is, do it up, or go the full way and go up into the loft and put dormers on it as well. Seems a waste to sell it as it is, as whoever buys it will do it up, so I may as well do it myself to make the most of it. Lots of people around him have asked me about this, but as I say there’s no hurry really.

Cal, fingers crossed your hip is okay today. Do you have any other options for the hip or is it more a case of see how it goes over the coming days.

WP well done on your weekly mileage also.

Ian, a 60 mile week will be decent if you manage it. Yes, I am happy with my parkrun although I still can’t believe that was my MP from 2022! But important thing is I’m back on out there, enjoying it, foot is okay, and I’m making some progress. Wondering about a half in September, but not sure yet.

Complete rest day from both running and Zwifting today. Feeling quite tired so hopefully it’ll do me good and I’m ready to go again tomorrow.
18 Aug
7:51am, 18 Aug 2024
3,594 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - good your parkrun went well and hope there are no repercussions today.

Big G - as you say no rush. Plenty time to decide what to do with the property.

My cousin is a solicitor and used to do probate, I asked her about using her services when my Mum died (she did my divorce for £26) and she said I didn't need a solicitor unless there are complications, such as trusts. My Mum had actually written her will on a form from WH Smiths and there were some questions on the probate form that I couldn't answer (a solicitor couldn't have either), I put 'I don't know'. Probate sailed through in a a couple of weeks, although I believe it's not so speedy now.

Well two days rest made no difference to my leaden legs at all. Another terrible run, I cut it short to 3 miles as I knew slogging out another mile or two would make no difference. So back to square one with Hadd for me.

I did 30 minutes light weight upper body session yesterday and I have severe DOMS today!

But good news that on my way home this morning, I saw my kingfisher again, usually when the water is high I don't see him, so a bonus for my weary legs.
18 Aug
8:15am, 18 Aug 2024
3,888 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, yeah, I did the probate when Claire died and I’ll do Dad’s too as his estate is not complex. But his Will is with the solicitor (I have a copy) and at some point I’ll need the property transferred over. He had 3 accounts and I’ll be getting the closing statements for those soon, I will get an estate agent up to value the property in its current condition, and make an estimate of contents, and I think that is basically it for probate unless it has changed drastically in the last 10 years (I haven’t actually checked). Feels a bit odd going in so early and doing this type of thing, but even his partner said it’s best just to get on with it, and it does need to be done at some point. I’d rather nudge things along slowly really, just so I feel contacts have been made and things are happening.

One thing that has changed, I think since Covid, is registering a death is easier now. He died at home, so GP did whatever they needed, and sent details direct to registrar. Then I make an appointment with the registrar and it’s done, and certificate issued. There’s also a ‘tell us once’ service, which I don’t remember from last time, where the registrar gives you a temporary reference number (only lasts 30 days for security reasons probably) that links to the death cert. Basically, there’s a government online form, you give it NI Number, NHS Number, passport, driving license, bus pass details along with the registrar reference number, hit send, and apparently notifications get sent to everyone (pension, benefits, NHS, council, etc) without the need for contacting them all individually, or potentially having to send a death certificate. I had the relevant info to hand and it was done in 5 mins.
18 Aug
8:50am, 18 Aug 2024
3,596 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - probably the most impressive service was from my Mum's bank. Bereavement gives you a hotline, no recorded waiting in a queue, and I had everything I needed in a couple of days and they were falling over themselves to give me any other help I needed.

That's a real improvement in the death registration process. Because my Mum died in Torbay I had to register the death in Paignton, but the difficulty was getting Torbay Hospital to issue the death certificate. When my mother died there was a healthcare assistant on the ward that I'd worked with years ago and he told me I'd have to hassle them to issue the death certificate as they were lazy at doing them. The neighbouring ward was closed for refurbishment and my mother's ward had 23 patients and 7 doctors and I still had to hound them, even visiting twice to ask why they hadn't done the certificate. You can't make an appointment at the registrars until you have the certificate and I was due back at work. They had the 'tell me once' in operation then which they did for me. It's great, everything dealt with even library membership and so good not having to contact DWP, HMRC etc. It's a brilliant service.
18 Aug
9:16am, 18 Aug 2024
15,762 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Hope your running fitness improves quickly Shades
18 Aug
9:35am, 18 Aug 2024
3,599 posts
  •  
Shades
Thanks @Ultracat hope you have an easier return to running than I have.
18 Aug
10:07am, 18 Aug 2024
4,330 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sorry to hear you are struggling Shade you just have to be patient sadly.Nice to see the Kingfisher :)

I had awful night With OH and Dewi Boi(cat) i had 4 hours sleep so binned my longer run and went to Rec for laps bumped into Rob old guy who is winding down his running he is 78. He opted to run a lap with me :) but sadly I forgot to start watch.3.5 miles altogether so not too bad.
I have been in ice tub 15 degrees .
18 Aug
10:20am, 18 Aug 2024
3,889 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, the funeral director said “you may see mention that a death has to be registered within 5 days. Ignore that as it never happens”, which made me smile a bit. It took me 7 days and that delay wasn’t due to anything I did or didn’t do.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.