Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
13 Aug
5:03pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,534 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - it's definitely doing the rounds again. I haven't been near G, honest.😉

I'm sure he wouldn't have been taking sessions if he still had Covid. I assume he tested negative first.

Ian - just have faith in your training.
13 Aug
5:25pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,872 posts
  •  
Big_G
It’s frustrating when it sticks like that Ian. But as Shades said it maybe the weather and also, you may see what feels like a sudden jump in performance soonish, which is great if/when that happens!

Just put my options in for number pickup, bus time and bag drop (which I may not use but I’ve got it if I want it) for NY. I was on there when it opened and got the times for everything that I wanted.
13 Aug
5:33pm, 13 Aug 2024
259 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-If I remember right,it was a massive walk after the race to get out the park.1 was a lot longer than the other but can't remember which way,pretty sure you can Google the answer though.Did you go for the bus from midtown? If so there are massive queues but don't worry as they soon go down and hundreds of coaches,bit like Boston.
13 Aug
5:47pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,873 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, thanks. Yes, I went for the bus. I’ve heard it can be time consuming getting out the park at the end. What I may do is put clothes in the bag that I don’t mind leaving and if it’s manic just leave the bag, which may also depend on the weather. Or just ask OH to bring some warm clothes for me, although I don’t think she can get into the park.
13 Aug
6:06pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,538 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good you've got that sorted out for NYC. Weather can be variable, can be very cold.

I'm just watching the BBC news, there's going to be an interview with Rose Harvey. She broke her leg during the marathon, hence being wheelchaired off at the finish. Stress fracture I assume. Broken leg always sounds more newsworthy.
13 Aug
7:20pm, 13 Aug 2024
260 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Just read that,stress fracture of the hip.
Big G,As per London there is meeting areas just outside the park,I think if you select bag drop you may not get a poncho,but check.
13 Aug
7:33pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,875 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ian, yeah, we get a poncho regardless.
13 Aug
9:28pm, 13 Aug 2024
51 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I just read that about Rose. Blimey. Explains her performance - shame for her but amazing she managed to finish.
Another Chaser ran Frankfurt a few years ago with a broken foot (and got a PB) - it must've started as a stress fracture but by the finish it was a proper fracture. She got over it fairly quickly, considering.

I tried a run today (run/walk intervals). Leg was pretty grumpy, though I'm not surprised as it didn't feel great yesterday. It's calmed down now but I admit I am a bit disappointed that the cortisone hasn't worked as well as it did when I got it in my TFL in 2017. Guess it's much easier to calm down a small muscle than a big joint.
14 Aug
5:06am, 14 Aug 2024
3,540 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - it was a good interview with Rose in her home, she was on crutches but happy as planning her wedding for the end of the month.

Should the injection have worked so quickly, is there hope that it could still improve your hip?

Rest day for me today. RHR nice and low today, mid my normal range
14 Aug
5:29am, 14 Aug 2024
3,876 posts
  •  
Big_G
Cal, I had an injection in my foot and it did nothing for me. I had one in my shoulder a number of years ago and it helped there, so I don’t think there’s a rule really.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.