Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
12 Aug
8:13am, 12 Aug 2024
255 posts
  •  
Ian5
Not as hot as down south here today but still going to be unpleasant.
Good to see some runs,even if not ideal ones.
Shades-Yes I can try them,they also have a treadmill but won't go that far.I am that way tomorrow so will pop in again.
12 Aug
8:39am, 12 Aug 2024
3,512 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - where are you? I saw the forecast today for Cardiff (I know you're not in Cardiff) and was the same as here 21 to 23 degrees and the 23 was later in the day. Annoying you had to ditch your run.

I think the humidity is more of an issue for us, especially early morning. Luckily not expecting the 30+ in the SE.

Ian - must be nice to try on shoes before buying, always risky with internet shopping.....such as my Invincibles
12 Aug
11:17am, 12 Aug 2024
3,514 posts
  •  
Shades
One thing I don't do when not well is shop online, my credit card gets a rest.

However, feeling much better today and on the strength of a very slow 3 mile run I have entered Cork for next year. Relatively inexpensive entry fee compared to Dublin. Then booked my hotel for Cork, significantly more expensive than Dublin hotels. I have a fondness for a 4 star hotel that my Dad used to take me to for lunch sometimes when I was about 8 years old. Marathon weekend is also a bank holiday in Ireland so along with the marathon that inflates the prices.
I've justified the extra expense due to my refunds from IOM expenditure, a bit of creative accounting.
12 Aug
11:39am, 12 Aug 2024
4,306 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I like your thinking and love the way after a short run you have entered Cork..... :)

I am in Ammanford which is Carmarthenshire,I live at base of a mountain and surrounded by mountains so I find the only accurate weather is my own weather station.We can be 3 degrees warmer in summer than forecast.
12 Aug
11:45am, 12 Aug 2024
4,307 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Humidity was 85% this morning.
12 Aug
12:00pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,515 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - one thing I'm not short of is optimism 🙃. After all how hard can it be 😭

You've definitely got your own microclimate there, don't let the holiday makers find out, you'll be inundated.
12 Aug
12:06pm, 12 Aug 2024
256 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Good news on Cork,with my type of accounting.
I went to find this hilly loop today,and did a few versions,did a 3m loop,not too keen as it was a little trails and broken kerbs etc on 1 part,then did the 2m loop which wasn't too bad actually,then once up and down the main hill so came to 6.8m altogether with over 500ft of climbing.Looks like there's maybe a way to extend the first loop to avoid the bit I didn't like,will try that next time.
12 Aug
12:27pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,516 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that's a good hilly run today. I'm sure with a bit of trial and error you'll find the ideal route.
12 Aug
5:44pm, 12 Aug 2024
50 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Shades, I don't know about Rose, I assume she was just exhausted and dehydrated. She did well to finish at all.

I didn't do much yesterday - just a walk and a bit of easy mobility but my hip and knee were hurting this morning. I'm done with this body, can I have a new one?
Did some upper body stuff in the gym but I wasn't really feeling it.

And yeah, it's far too hot for my liking. Again.
12 Aug
5:52pm, 12 Aug 2024
4,310 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: We are too far inland from the sea....hopefully.
But we used to go to this lovely quiet village by the sea just a mobile fish and chip van,tearooms and PO and two pubs. We have been going best part 15 years peaceful quiet and then.......Bloody tourists found it ,last time we went we had to turnaround and come back as no room to park it was like 4 coaches+lots of cars had desended on the place I won't be going back.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.