Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
12 Aug
6:02pm, 12 Aug 2024
3,519 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - hope Rose is OK and proud of her race.

Sorry to hear you're having discomfort, the hot weather doesn't help.

WP - well let's hope the tourists stay away. The town I live in is not a holiday place but it's close enough to other places that do attract tourists so I never go anywhere near them.

Years ago when I worked in Torquay it would take an hour to drive there and another hour to drive home in the summer. 6 miles each way. They've built a link road now.
13 Aug
7:08am, 13 Aug 2024
3,521 posts
  •  
Shades
A deliciously cool 13 degrees when I went out for my run, humidity still fairly high but not really noticeable when it's that much cooler. 4 miles today which is far enough, quads and hip flexors a bit sore for last mile or so, I expect due to a return to running from doing nothing for days.

On my return run I stopped in the usual place to see if the kingfisher is back, he's been gone for months, and today he's back in residence. šŸ˜ So beautiful to see.

My flat hasn't cooled down yet, was like walking into an airing cupboard when I got home. Windows all open now.
13 Aug
7:34am, 13 Aug 2024
4,311 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Where we lived before we were 3 miles from the Gower so it was a nightmare during the summer.it felt like being trapped unable to go anywhere.

Glad you had a nothing good run.How is the RHR?

15 degrees here outside, inside 25 it just takes ages for the bungalow to cool down.
13 Aug
8:14am, 13 Aug 2024
3,524 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - hope you had a cooler run today too. RHR is back to normal, top end of normal but normal.

My flat has started to cool down a bit now.
13 Aug
10:55am, 13 Aug 2024
3,871 posts
  •  
Big_G
I woke up on time but by the time Iā€™d got myself sorted it was warming up so I decided to drive over to Haldon Forest and do a couple of hilly loops there for a total of 7 miles. Glad I did because as expected thereā€™s lots of shade in the forest, and I had a really pleasant run. Each 3.5 mile loop has the last mile straight up a steep hill, so each loop was 40mins long, but thatā€™s fine. I briefly considered doing a 3rd loop but decided to call it a day on an high note, and save a 3-loop run for another time.
13 Aug
12:53pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,527 posts
  •  
Shades
That sounds like a most enjoyable run in the woods. I guess you're feeling better than yesterday.

I feel really tired today. Tomorrow is a running rest day.
13 Aug
3:24pm, 13 Aug 2024
257 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Always good to stop on a high rather than dragging another one out.
Shades-Hope you feel better soon.
Went out for 8 today,normal route with an extended bit added on,all felt fine.
One thing I've noticed though is my easy pace hasn't really improved over the last 7 weeks,normally by now I'd have seen it drop a bit but it seems to be stagnant.
13 Aug
3:35pm, 13 Aug 2024
3,533 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - that might be as we're going through a warm and humid spell of weather. A couple of runs in cooler fresher conditions and you may see that easy pace improvement.
13 Aug
4:24pm, 13 Aug 2024
4,312 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Pt day today and G has Covid or I should say not infectious any more!! I just hope he right.
13 Aug
4:32pm, 13 Aug 2024
258 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-I'm hoping so,just seems slower to improve than usual,I am doing a HM next weekend so hopefully cooler and no wind then so can see where I'm really up to.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.