Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
11 Aug
3:43pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,502 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - are you suggesting that Big G follows Cairess's training plan 🤔?

Good idea to practise some walking, as you don't normally do that in races/long runs. Walk breaks in your long runs are an ideal time to take on fuel, easier and quicker when walking.

If you do Langdale you might get a chance to walk the 2nd time up the big hill 🤣
11 Aug
4:21pm, 11 Aug 2024
253 posts
  •  
Ian5
Well there was only a few 150m weeks by the look of it so no reason why not 😉
That's what I thought about the walking,the biggest hill is half mile long,so not as long as some in Comrades but will give me some practise.
11 Aug
4:29pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,861 posts
  •  
Big_G
I need to get a couple more 250 mile months in first, and then I’ll be on it ;) I hadn’t seen this latest one on letsrun, but there was a massive thread there following his London marathon.
11 Aug
4:50pm, 11 Aug 2024
3,504 posts
  •  
Shades
150 miles a week, well that certainly works for him 🙃
11 Aug
8:39pm, 11 Aug 2024
254 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Was it the Novablast you dsid a few weeks ago you think I'd like?
I seen them today in the outlet for £94,seems a good price.
12 Aug
7:06am, 12 Aug 2024
3,505 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - yes, it was the Novablast. I bought my last pair from Sportsshoes for £72, that was previous year's model. £94 for latest model is a good price, I don't think there's much difference technically between the two. I find them true to size. At the outlet you can try them on can't you?

I have been for a run! Intended to do walk/run, walked the first 0.2 of a mile then ran slowly for the rest. Covid seems to have wiped out my aerobic fitness but I kept my HR down to 70%MHR, just snuck over on the last hill, which is long drag. Very humid, temp 18 (feels like 21), humidity 98%. But so good to be out again. Can't believe how dark it is in the mornings since I was last training.
12 Aug
7:34am, 12 Aug 2024
3,508 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - how is Rose? I heard she was taken from the finish in a wheelchair.
12 Aug
7:36am, 12 Aug 2024
3,864 posts
  •  
Big_G
That’s good that you feel well enough to get back out Shades. How’s the sciatica?

I had a bad run today. I’d planned around 8 miles but started to feel queasy after around 3 miles, and HR started to rise then. Ran/walked home for a total of 5. Hopefully it’s nothing and I’m back to normal tomorrow.
12 Aug
7:59am, 12 Aug 2024
3,510 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - the sciatica niggles now and then but is manageable.

Very humid today, probably added to making you feel queasy.

I was running very slowly and was sweating buckets
12 Aug
8:00am, 12 Aug 2024
4,305 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Great you felt well enough to run Shades hopefully on the comeback trail.

25 degrees here and had to abort run at half a mile I felt awful. Yesterday was similar but 2.5 miles. I know I struggle in heat.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.