Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
10 Aug
10:26am, 10 Aug 2024
37 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I'm not sure I'd want to run that marathon course - that hill was a lot and the downs look too steep for me. Never mind I, like Shades, head for bed not long after 9. 😆

Cairess did well but then he'd be used to hills like that, being from Leeds.

Missed the end though as I headed for parkrun (just the one up the road as I wanted to be back to watch the Olympics).

I still have some pretty fierce DOMS from my Thursday leg workout but decided to have a go at jeffing around. Did a 4:30 run/:30 walk. Actually felt quite strong, probably due to taking a rest day yesterday (just a walk). Hip isn't entirely discomfort free but it wasn't too bad and I even managed a faster finish, which I couldn't do previously because my ROM was so restricted.
I expect I'll ache later today.

Realised I have a half marathon in a month but it's the Bacchus one in Denbies vineyard which is like the Marathon du Medoc - wine at the drink stations and most people walk around in fancy dress.
10 Aug
10:40am, 10 Aug 2024
3,481 posts
  •  
Shades
Wasn't that a brilliant run from Cairess, we're so used to not seeing a Brit runner in the TV coverage.

Fabulous course, made for great viewing rather than 4 x boring 10k laps that we usually see. I hope other championship races follow suit.

Ian - you would benefit if you could run a couple of marathons on a similar course, having uphill and then long downhills at 18ish + miles would be perfect Comrades training.

WP - don't think they've altered tomorrow's start time, no need, it'll still be cooler part of the day.

Cal - you should be able to pick up the marathon finish on iPlayer.
10 Aug
12:05pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,853 posts
  •  
Big_G
Great run by Cairess. It seemed he was dropping back a bit and then suddenly the coverage was with him and he was in 4th. I’d like that course, at least for seeing all the sights. It looked great.

I watched it all and then headed out for my own run, so missed parkrun, so that’s 2 weeks in a row! 9.5 miles on a fairly hilly route that I’ve not done for a whole, and although it was very humid I had a good run. That may be it for this week, so that’s 33.5 miles for the week.
10 Aug
12:09pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,482 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - a good training week for you. Not easy to do under the circumstances.

I'd love that marathon course. However, it's forecast to be 27 degrees tonight at 9pm when the people's marathon starts.

The women's marathon tomorrow is only forecast to be 22-24 degrees when they finish. The 32 degrees is not until 5pmish.
10 Aug
12:46pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,483 posts
  •  
Shades
I see Kipchoge DNF'd at 30k. He wasn't running well and was holding his side, stitch perhaps.
10 Aug
6:27pm, 10 Aug 2024
39 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
I saw him hold his side. Stitch is easy enough to get rid of, really, so might be something else? I don't know. Wasn't his day. Cairess did so well. Hope Rose runs well tomorrow.

Did you see the 800m? Hell of an exciting race.
10 Aug
6:29pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,855 posts
  •  
Big_G
I was wondering if it was more his hip, but I don’t know.
10 Aug
6:39pm, 10 Aug 2024
244 posts
  •  
Ian5
Cairess ran a brilliant race,I just wonder when he went to 2nd if that cost him a medal as he went quite a bit back after that,then rallied again.
10 Aug
6:45pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,486 posts
  •  
Shades
I can't imagine Kipchoge pulling up if it was just a stitch. He didn't look happy right from the start.

Ian - I think Cairess going so well up the hill is what put him into the race and he realised he could do well. If you feel strong you have to go with it. I saw his post race interview, he said the hills were no problem as he's from Yorkshire 😅

Cal - I hope Rose does well too.
10 Aug
7:08pm, 10 Aug 2024
3,487 posts
  •  
Shades
Great 5,000m race. Brilliant running.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.