Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
9 Aug
5:22pm, 9 Aug 2024
242 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Sorry to hear about your dad,glad you made it and sounds as though you'd made your peace with it happening a while back.
Couple of days in Lakes at minute,got a nice 5m run in today,485ft but none of the hills were too bad,just constantly up or down.
10 Aug
4:42am, 10 Aug 2024
3,477 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good undulating run in the Lakes.

Feeling better today, had a decent night and RHR has dropped by 5bpm.

No Aldi today, going to Tesco for food shop at 6 a.m. so I can be home in time for the men's marathon at 7 a.m.
10 Aug
6:19am, 10 Aug 2024
3,847 posts
  •  
Big_G
Cal, yeah, this will be the 4th funeral I’ve sorted. Mum died in 2003, then her Mum a couple of years later. Certainly with my Mum for various reasons I think things only hit me about 6 months after. For Claire and Jay I was basically a mess for most of the following two years (can’t believe that was nearly 10 years ago now).

I didn’t run yesterday as tried to sleep in a bit, but did do around 1hr40 on Zwift. OH took the day off and we went out for a lunch before going over to Dad’s and took his meds back to the pharmacy. Also called the team who have provided all the gear - there’s a bed, a ceiling hoist, portable hoist, chair, wheelchair, mattress, slings, tables, frames - all sorts. Arranged a day for next week so will be interesting to see what size van they bring! I have a meeting with funeral director on Monday and then hopefully I’ll get death cert early next week as well.

So I think this week will end up being a bit down on mileage but that’s obviously fine. For months the first thing I’ve been doing each morning is checking for messages to see if something has happened with Dad, and it seemed odd not having to do that!
10 Aug
6:48am, 10 Aug 2024
3,848 posts
  •  
Big_G
Is is this the first time an Olympics has provided the marathon route for amateurs as well? It’s on the same course as the Olympic event. A great idea really. I’ve a couple of friends who are doing it, and I think it’s this evening? It wasn’t on my radar at all for some reason but sounded a bit of an arduous process getting a place, but I reckon it’ll be a great event on a challenging course. There is a part at 13.5% gradient according to the event site.
10 Aug
8:02am, 10 Aug 2024
3,478 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I've never heard of a 'people's marathon ' being run alongside an Olympic marathon. I guess it's not organised by the Olympic committee but franchised out to an event organiser.

It's a great idea. Not sure if I'd want to start a marathon at 9pm though and be running through my normal bedtime 😴
10 Aug
8:07am, 10 Aug 2024
4,302 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I agree with you Shades! I would not want to run any distance that late but especially a marathon.
10 Aug
8:12am, 10 Aug 2024
3,480 posts
  •  
Shades
I've run a 12 hour event and we started at 6pm. It was hard, had a tough time going through the couple of hours that would normally be bedtime. Was OK after that.
10 Aug
9:14am, 10 Aug 2024
243 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-I downloaded the app,but it was really confusing with different challenges and in French so I gave up.
Incredible run from Cairess to come 4th,jiunt best for a Brit in the Olympics they said.
10 Aug
9:21am, 10 Aug 2024
3,851 posts
  •  
Big_G
Sounds like they’re expecting weather conditions to be tougher/hotter tomorrow for the ladies.
10 Aug
10:01am, 10 Aug 2024
4,303 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Have they moved the start time for tomorrow?

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.