Shades Marathon Training

2 lurkers | 30 watchers
6 Aug
8:04am, 6 Aug 2024
3,830 posts
  •  
Big_G
10 miles this morning and had a reasonable run - better than yesterday’s anyway. I did some strides towards the end again as well.

Also enjoyed the Olympics last night. Didn’t really understand the Kipyegon being DQd and then reinstated. Seemed a bit of a farce and a shame for the athlete who was 4th, then 3rd and then back to 4th again.
6 Aug
8:10am, 6 Aug 2024
3,448 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - nice running, yesterday's run just one of those things.

Re the 5000m they shouldn't be so quick to disqualify an athlete when it's likely there's going to be an objection. They should just announce 'steward's enquiry' as they do with horse racing 😉
6 Aug
8:13am, 6 Aug 2024
3,831 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yeah. I probably should have said but I didn’t think she should’ve been DQd in the first place. Certainly the commentators on Discovery as the incident happened live felt she’d done nothing wrong. I saw she’s got a yellow card for the rest of the Olympics which I suppose means she needs to keep out of any trouble in the next race.
6 Aug
8:19am, 6 Aug 2024
239 posts
  •  
Ian5
First glance I thought Tsegay was at fault,but Kipyegon does do the first arm grab,but could have been to stop Tsegay cutting her up.
Decided to take today off,not feeling right and I haven't had a rest week for 6 weeks now so looks like a very light week this week now,but I'm off next week so can have a good week then.
7 Aug
4:24am, 7 Aug 2024
3,452 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - hope that's just a blip and you've not picked up a virus. A step back week should restore your energy levels.

Couldn't sleep, up even earlier today.

Great win by Hocker in the 1500m last night. I think Ingebrigtsen and Kerr both screwed it up. I don't think Kerr thought once he'd passed Ingebrigtsen that anyone would pass him.
7 Aug
7:15am, 7 Aug 2024
3,838 posts
  •  
Big_G
I am not a regular reader as it’s a cesspool, but Letsrun has gone a bit crazy about the 1500 result (well, more crazy than usual). There was a thread from about a week ago that was pondering if Hocker could win.

Did a very, very tough Zwift session yesterday, and enjoyed it. Garmin said 50hrs to recover :) Legs okay, and 7 miles on the flat today with HR well in control. Not really what they’re made for, but I got the Adidas Prime X Strung out today - they are great shoes, undoubtedly contributing to HR being well in control.

Dad’s gone downhill again, and on the weekend I had to go to an out of hours pharmacy to get some drugs that were prescribed by an overnight nurse (lucky I had ID with me as my ID was checked as it’s controlled drugs they were giving). Poor old sod is on a syringe driver now with district nurses going in each day to top it up, which is basically drip feeding him morphine so he’s mainly out of it. I don’t know how long people may last like this, and I hope this doesn’t offend anyone, but for his own sake I actually hope he slips away soon rather that potentially dragging on for weeks. But he’s at home, which is what he has said he’s always wanted, so we’ve made that happen. I have to say, on the weekend, him looking up at me and pleading for morphine got to me a lot (he’d ran out over the weekend). I don’t want to see him in pain. We’ve had a bit of a strained relationship over the years but we have had a couple of nice chats over the last couple of weeks so I think we each got to say what we wanted, which I’m pleased about because as I say he’s basically out of it now.
7 Aug
7:45am, 7 Aug 2024
3,453 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - sorry to hear about your Dad, not unexpected, not that it makes it any easier.

My Mum lasted 4 days from no food or drink and unconscious due to the morphine. Now your Dad has the morphine he won't be in any pain.

I saw Michael Johnson talking about Hocker, that his win was not unexpected. Also the guy that was 3rd was recognised as a threat. Another metre or so he would have beaten Kerr too.
7 Aug
9:00am, 7 Aug 2024
240 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Tough to go through it all,but sounds like you've done everything you can for him.
Went out today,pretty slow again,not as slow as Monday but not great either,nothing really showing apart from a little sore throat and sniffles so hopefully go soon.
7 Aug
9:58am, 7 Aug 2024
24 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Big G, I can relate. It's good you have had the chance to talk - most regrets come from what you didn't do rather than what you did.

I went for a run today, or rather a Jeff. It's been a week and a day since the jab and there's been a lot of improvement. I did 2 miles of 2 mins jog/1 min walk. There was mild discomfort but no knee pain (I've not had knee pain since the jab so I guess it was referred after all). The test is whether it will hurt later today or not, though it seems fine at the minute. I've a lunchtime pilates class later on.
7 Aug
10:42am, 7 Aug 2024
4,293 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G: I am glad you got to talk it makes all the difference.Totally understand that he does not linger and suffer.Still very tough to deal with.

Shades How are you today?

Cal: Sounds promising news with knee.

RHR is normal today!! it has been a long time 6+ weeks so a nice 6 mile run today and I felt I could have run further.Hopefully this will mean training can resume!

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.