Shades Marathon Training

5 lurkers | 30 watchers
8 Aug
10:37am, 8 Aug 2024
28 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
That fall in the steeplechase was nasty.
9 Aug
5:18am, 9 Aug 2024
3,463 posts
  •  
Shades
Cal - I felt so sorry for the German athlete in the heptathlon. Hurt her ankle just doing a test hurdle at the start and stretchered off.

I've enjoyed the athletics but I'll be glad when it's over, I've had enough now. I am looking forward to the marathons though.

Should be waking up in my Bristol airport hotel this morning 😭 . At least this year I've managed to recoup most of the expenditure.

RHR down 2bpm today. I haven't got any more Covid tests to check if I'm still carrying the virus. Used my last one on Monday. Will get some more tests tomorrow.
9 Aug
5:48am, 9 Aug 2024
3,844 posts
  •  
Big_G
That’s sad about the airport and not being able to travel, Shades. Good news your RHR is coming back down though. I know we’re all different but mine wasn’t a linear progression back down. How are you feeling in yourself?

Dad passed away yesterday evening around 6pm. I was driving over anyway as his partner was due to be going to the theatre and I was going to sit with him for a few hours, but her daughter was at the door urging me to come in quickly, and he passed away about 5mins later. District Nurse came to confirm what was needed and then I called the undertaker, and he was taken away around 9:30pm. It’s very sad obviously but I’m really glad I was there. He’s done amazingly well to keep going as since 2019 his health has deteriorated a lot in lots of area. I always did what he wanted, or tried to anyway. Sometimes it wasn’t possible, for example when he temporarily needed to be in a care home whilst things were sorted at his house, and often he didn’t make things easy at all. But he wanted to be at home and at the end he was, and apart from numerous hospital stays, he was at home these last 5 years. It’s odd seeing the place empty, and looking around the place is strange - I lived there from about age 5-19, and when I lived away Claire and I stayed when visiting. When I lived away, I still called Brixham home. I’ve got a lot of sorting to do as the house is full, but that can wait obviously. I expect it’s going to be upsetting as, for example, I know he kept paper cuttings of me from all my life, but I don’t know where they are.

I am okay - this wasn’t unexpected and it has been a matter of when, not if, for quite some time. It sounds bad and it’s hard to find the right words but in someways it’s a relief - it’s been a rollercoaster for him, and everyone, the last few years and especially the last 12 months or so, and even more so the last 4 weeks. Sounds odd maybe, but I had kind of said my goodbyes a couple weeks ago, but it’s still sad.

He was one of 10 kids, and there’s only one left now. Mind you, I’ve loads of cousins etc, and he has friends still, so we’ll give him a good send off.
9 Aug
6:09am, 9 Aug 2024
3,464 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - it is a relief, even though it's sad, I understand that. He was in his own home, where he wanted to be and it's good that you were there at the time, I think whenever possible that's the least we can do.

I was with my mother when she died and I think that helped me a lot with the aftermath.
9 Aug
6:09am, 9 Aug 2024
3,465 posts
  •  
Shades
I'm not feeling too bad, just generally under the weather. Sore throat and tickly cough has more or less gone.
9 Aug
7:04am, 9 Aug 2024
4,300 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: It must be hard but at least you could recoup some of the outlay for IOM.Glad you are not feeling too bad.

Big G Really sorry to here about Dad it sounds like he had what he wanted to be at home and surrounded by family .I think it does help if you are there at the end for your own grief /aftermath.
9 Aug
12:09pm, 9 Aug 2024
34 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Big G, I'm glad you were there. I wasn't, for either of my parents. Dealing with the aftermath is very stressful so take the time to be kind to yourself.
9 Aug
3:16pm, 9 Aug 2024
3,472 posts
  •  
Shades
Text from my friend she's on the ferry to the IOM.

I've sent an email to the race saying I no longer require an early start 😉
9 Aug
3:28pm, 9 Aug 2024
4,301 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Such a shame and harder with friend on ferry.
9 Aug
3:42pm, 9 Aug 2024
3,473 posts
  •  
Shades
She always sends me a text when she boards the ferry, it's become one of our traditions.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.