Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
9 Sep
6:04am, 9 Sep 2024
64 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Well done Rcouture - which marathon are you running?
Ian - hope the relay does the trick. Relays are always great fun and I'm sad I've been too banged up to do any this year.

I've cancelled so many races this year but one I didn't want to cancel was the Bacchus Half Marathon. Now, were it a normal half, I'd have bid it adios, but this the one that takes place at Denbies Vineyard and involves wine stations. Most people go in fancy dress and no one takes the time seriously (after all, there is a bit of queueing to get wine at the first stop, and a lot of people just hang out at the aid stations for a while).
But it is still 13 miles, and hilly (my watch said 1400ft but strava estimates vary), and I've not done more than 4 miles in months. My whole strategy was to try and get drunk enough that my hip wouldn't bother me as much. I know being drunk doesn't make pain go away but it makes you care less about it.
My club had decided on a Disney theme so I just got a Mickey T-shirt and some mouse ears from the Disney store, but we had one guy dressed as Cruella De Ville, a Snow White, a Princess Jasmine and a Pinocchio amongst others. Meanwhile, at the race, there were LOADs of Barbie and Kens, people dressed as grapes (aka covered in balloons) and all manner of other get-ups.
I started off jog-walking with Zoe, another Chaser who is even slower than I am with my injury (she's a triathlete) but then got chatting with a lady I met in the loo queue earlier and lost Zoe after a bit.
The first five miles zig zag around the vineyard and I was lucky to be on the edge under some trees when it rained (the Mickey shirt is cotton so wasn't keen on getting wet in that). Fortunately it stopped and I managed to catch up with another Chaser, Katherine, at the second wine stop. They don't give you a lot of wine (it's a small cup with a finger or two) but I'd had four of those at the first stop and three at the second so I was already feeling a bit tiddly.

Katherine decided to try and wait for Zoe so I went on ahead and there was a nice long downhill section with beautiful views so I enjoyed running down there.
That leads into the nastiest climb, which is narrow, lumpy and 22%. Not remotely runable and there was a bit of queue to get up it. The folks with the balloon grapes lost a few on the brambles at either side. I was also glad I was not one of several people in large inflatable costumes as it was hard enough getting up there in shorts and a T-shirt.
After that it was a mix of running and walking and drinking. I was pretty trollied by the time I got to the finish - you get some pulled pork (or veg alternative) there, and more wine.
Nice medal and T-shirt - it's a pricey race but considering what you get from it, the price tag is justified. 10/10 would do again.
Of course I slept like crap (a combination of leg aches and the after effects of drinking) but oddly my hip is no worse than normal.
9 Sep
7:39am, 9 Sep 2024
3,907 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - well done, that's a cracking last long run. Hope the taper goes well, you stay healthy and not too much stressing over the weather.

Cal - great you decided not to miss that race and congrats on your alternative pain relief. Sounds like you had a great day and really enjoyed the whole occasion. Super photo and race report.

Just short of 5 miles for me today, knee fine but legs heavy and another treacle run. Strong headwind on the way home.
9 Sep
8:57am, 9 Sep 2024
3,972 posts
  •  
Big_G
That’s a brilliant run, Rcouture. Well done. Yes, Seville is my PB course. Flat and fast, and I got an entry off the waiting list at fairly late notice, so I was glad I made the trip! Ian’s done it as well.

Well done, Cal. Sounds like a good day out!

That sounds like a decent effort there, Ian.

Got home yesterday after a couple of nice nights away, so glad we went even though it was a late decision to go.
9 Sep
9:03am, 9 Sep 2024
4 posts
  •  
1SteveMac
Rcouture - Sounds like a great long run.
Ian - Nice 5k time.
Big G - It's this coming Sunday for my 10k.

I did 14 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday, so 40 miles for the week.
9 Sep
9:06am, 9 Sep 2024
4,465 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian: I hope you are feeling better bout your running.
Cal: That looks like fun and your hip held up win win.
Rcouture: That was a great long run.No panicking over the weather ;-)
Shades:Miles in the bank as sounds like a tough one today.

I remembered compression socks helped with last Achilles flare up so on they went for my run today 4.6 miles and Achilles was a dull ache.Hip/quad was less troublesome as well.
9 Sep
12:29pm, 9 Sep 2024
3,974 posts
  •  
Big_G
7 miles today, a couple of climbs, and around 50/50 road/trail. Has a nice run and although a bit of a wind, it was good running conditions.
9 Sep
5:17pm, 9 Sep 2024
3,913 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good the compression socks helped.

Do you ever tape up the achilles when it's troublesome?
9 Sep
5:43pm, 9 Sep 2024
4,468 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have never taped Achilles.......I may have to have a look on youtube. thanks,
9 Sep
5:56pm, 9 Sep 2024
3,914 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - anyone will tell you on here I'm a great fan of taping up niggles and injuries. Been invaluable to me at times. 🙂
9 Sep
6:36pm, 9 Sep 2024
4,470 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have looked and will tape ready for Wednesday. Anything is worth a try.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.