Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
9 Sep
9:14pm, 9 Sep 2024
287 posts
  •  
Ian5
Cal-Hope the head wasn't too bad today,sounds like you had a great time.
Rcouture-That was a very impressive run,3 weeks to go.
Got a bit of motivation back,mainly because I remembered I need under 3:20 for pen B at Comrades so that would be nice to tick off nice and early.Think the qualification period has only just started.
10 Sep
8:06am, 10 Sep 2024
3,917 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - good to hear your motivation is heading in the right direction. It's hard to be optimistic if you're feeling tired.

Does it matter that you're in pen B at Comrades?

For me today, major rethink on my training. I know I can't run a marathon at my current level of fitness and I want to get round Dublin even if I have to walk most of it. But currently I don't even have the level of training to walk round comfortably so today I am ramping up my weekly mileage and back to square one sticking to Hadd base training. Whilst I've been trying to run with treacle legs the effort has pushed my training HR up and there's absolutely no positive training effect from trying to do that, especially as I obviously have some post viral effects from Covid. Normally I do my base training at 70-75%MHR but from today I've cut that to 70%, 112bpm for me, only allowing 75% on significant hills.

5+ miles today, walking where necessary to keep HR down, average HR 111, 69%. Have rewritten my training plan to ramp up the miles, plan is 37 miles this week.

Gym later,
10 Sep
8:11am, 10 Sep 2024
288 posts
  •  
Ian5
Shades-Sounds like a good plan if you think what you're currently doing isn't working.
It's not that important, it's all seeded on time and with 20k+ runners it's better to be in that pen than C which has up to 3:40 runners.It is also gun to gun time so gives me a couple more minutes if I'm close to a particular medal.
10 Sep
8:15am, 10 Sep 2024
3,976 posts
  •  
Big_G
Sounds good Shades.

Ian, that’s good motivation then. It’s good to have a time goal and I guess you can assess how it’s going on the day.
10 Sep
8:37am, 10 Sep 2024
3,978 posts
  •  
Big_G
PS, no decisions made at all, but decided to stick my name on the waiting list for Seville. If I get a place I’ll decide then, but I have booked a refundable room at the place I stayed at last time as well. Flights around £150 but only going in one direction, more than I’d ideally like to pay, but if I get a place and they’re still around that, I may pull the trigger and enter it. I do like to have an early year race to look forward to, to some place that may be a bit warmer than UK - in the past I’ve had Seville, Madeira, Malta and Morocco (in fairness, the one year at Malta it was a washout and race cancelled though).

Also, looking at a Dutch one over Xmas. It’s quite a small event, but looks to be on pathed walkways, and a single loop for the marathon. They’ve other distances and when I saw it I was expecting it to be laps, which wouldn’t have been a problem, but great it’s a single loop. Looks like it’s their 3rd running of it and last year they had 200 in the marathon so seems nice (400 in the half). It depends on ferries etc, and other plans, so I’ve not entered it yet but strongly considering it if I get around NYC with no flare ups of any issues. Looks like it’s a 10am start and it is in Leeuwarden, roughly an hour from where I’m staying in Zwolle, so should work well. €25 seems a bargain, with medal and finish line pic as well (extra if I want a shirt, which I probably won’t).

valk-events.com
10 Sep
8:47am, 10 Sep 2024
289 posts
  •  
Ian5
Big G-Yes,I have a good idea of my HR and effort based on Manchester,so the plan is to stick to that for the first half then see where I am and decide from there.
That's a good plan,hopefully NYC goes well for you.
I am looking at Barca again next March as my early one.
10 Sep
8:50am, 10 Sep 2024
3,919 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - what I've been doing training wise since Covid has definitely not been working. You know me I'm the eternal optimist, always another plan 😉

Even if you're in Pen C that's not a lot of difference.

Big G - good luck getting a place in Seville, I expect as this year it had so many PB's and Olympic qualifiers it will be more popular. But there will be the usual winter illnesses and injuries so hopefully plenty of late places available.

I haven't looked at any other flights except to Ireland and they've shot up in price so not surprised that other flights are getting more expensive.

That Dutch marathon looks good and so close to where you're staying it would be rude not too do it. Might need winter kit though 🥶
10 Sep
11:27am, 10 Sep 2024
65 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Shades, I hadn't walked more than 3 miles or run more than 4 (in several months) when I did Bacchus so don't rule it out just yet...however I was able to deploy tactical inebriation which I'm not sure is an option for you. Guessing they don't have Guinness stations on the way round.

Big G, that does sound like a good deal.

I have been very stiff and sore since Sunday (not just the dodgy hip but lots of muscles that aren't used to working for that long - my time of 3:46 is only 11 minutes slower than my fastest marathon. Most of my clubmates were even slower because they stopped and partied for longer at the stations). Ian I actually had my hangover in the middle of Sunday night. Kept waking up - wasn't great, honestly, but no regrets.
Did go to the gym today but didn't push it.

Official photos are out now - I liked this one of me running with Zoe during the early part of the race.
10 Sep
11:27am, 10 Sep 2024
66 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Cal Jones wrote:Shades, I hadn't walked more than 3 miles or run more than 4 (in several months) when I did Bacchus so don't rule it out just yet...however I was able to deploy tactical inebriation which I'm not sure is an option for you. Guessing they don't have Guinness stations on the way round. Big G, that does sound like a good deal. I have been very stiff and sore since Sunday (not just the dodgy hip but lots of muscles that aren't used to working for that long - my time of 3:46 is only 11 minutes slower than my fastest marathon. Most of my clubmates were even slower because they stopped and partied for longer at the stations). Ian I actually had my hangover in the middle of Sunday night. Kept waking up - wasn't great, honestly, but no regrets. Did go to the gym today but didn't push it. Official photos are out now - I liked this one of me running with Zoe during the early part of the race.
10 Sep
11:28am, 10 Sep 2024
67 posts
  •  
Cal Jones
Not got the hang of this forum yet.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.