Shades Marathon Training

8 lurkers | 30 watchers
29 Aug
7:33am, 29 Aug 2024
3,929 posts
  •  
Big_G
X Post, Shades. Yes, much fresher today. I see you’re not on the list for Barnstaple, which although understandable is still a shame.
29 Aug
7:36am, 29 Aug 2024
4,400 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I want to try the Nimbus and Triumph but in no rush really.

Nice running Rcouture I liked Newport when I was there for a race.

Shades nice running this morning.

I had an awful night so debating rest day or short easy run.RHR +8 so need to be sensible.
29 Aug
7:38am, 29 Aug 2024
4,401 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G glad all went well yesterday and I think music can really get you as so much emotions involved.
29 Aug
7:40am, 29 Aug 2024
3,766 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - good to hear the funeral went well. Music is so instantly emotive.

I went to a neighbour's funeral and the music as the coffin disappeared behind the curtain was 'Whispering Grass' which made quite a few of us involuntarily burst out laughing. My neighbour had a good sense of humour.

Barnstaple is still on my spreadsheet, but 4 weeks away and I'm barely up to 5 miles I decided to leave it off the list for now.
29 Aug
7:43am, 29 Aug 2024
3,767 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - xpost. Sorry you had another bad night.

The Nimbus usually hold their price so if you see a bargain pair snap them up.

I also want to try the Cumulus.
29 Aug
7:49am, 29 Aug 2024
3,930 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you getting your RHR from a watch, or are you measuring it manually? I know we are all different and this is no right or wrong, but I don’t think I know anyone whose RHR jumps around so much, so was just wondering if it’s a faulty/misreading watch. Again, apologies - you know your own body, but I was just wondering.
29 Aug
8:04am, 29 Aug 2024
3,768 posts
  •  
Shades
I know that question is not directed at me. I don't wear my watch except when running.

I manually take my RHR when I wake before getting out of bed, my RHR is consistently steady. If for any reason I sleep late and the alarm wakes me, that will give me a higher waking RHR as I've awoken with a start.
29 Aug
9:06am, 29 Aug 2024
3,770 posts
  •  
Shades
I just looked at my Garmin Connect and it has my resting HR as 78 today. That's because I only use the chest strap and put the watch on as I leave home for my run. Then I run and there's probably 5 minutes between finishing my run, stretching up and walking indoors when I take off the watch.

My actual RHR today was 53
29 Aug
9:19am, 29 Aug 2024
4,402 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G I take my RHR from my watch Fenix 6 which I wear all the time apart from when charging or showering.
All this bouncing up and down since having Covid.
The way I feel this morning I know it is right and have not run just a short walk.
29 Aug
9:22am, 29 Aug 2024
4,403 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
From optical HRM on watch.

Strange how a RHR is different Shades.if mine said 53 it would be +13 :)

Maybe I should rest my watch and see if it makes a difference.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.