Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
30 Aug
4:57pm, 30 Aug 2024
4,415 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have not had a nap today which is news as I can not remember the last time that happened :)
30 Aug
5:06pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,791 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - it can't be easy being a carer and little respite except when you can get out for a run.

I've had 2 emails from Pete Bland one to my old email address and one to my newer email address which I used this morning to set up an account.

On offer Nimbus was £180 now £162. Kayano same price, Cumulus was £140 now £126, Novablast £135 now £121.50. Nice colours, the Paris range.
30 Aug
5:17pm, 30 Aug 2024
4,416 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ah After paying just £50 for Mizuno I shall wait I am in no hurry ;)

It is hard I am so looking forward to my week away in October just me to do things I like even if just going for walk, soaks in bath and reading oh and shopping.I usually had three breaks but first one this year.
30 Aug
5:22pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,936 posts
  •  
Big_G
Must be really difficult WP :(
30 Aug
6:19pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,792 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - £50 is a great price for your shoes. I love a bargain and won't be paying those sort of prices that Pete Bland are quoting, it just so happened that they were my preferred choice of shoe.

I've paid £84 for the Ghost Max shoes. Nearest I could find to that was £95 from 2 suppliers but they were both for pink shoes and I won't wear pink at any price. All other suppliers were £112+.

That's a long time to go without having some respite care and a break away. I hope you won't have to wait so long for the next break away from home.
31 Aug
6:36am, 31 Aug 2024
3,793 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - good luck for tomorrow, hope you have an early start so avoid the warmer temperatures forecast later.

4+ miles this morning, still not much energy in my legs, bloody Covid. My lowest month's mileage this year at a miserable 50 miles.
31 Aug
7:33am, 31 Aug 2024
4,417 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: That was a good price on your shoes I think we all like a bargain.I am used to my shoes costing under £85 with Adidas so for me under £100 is good :) You have a phobia over pink..... I don't think I have ever had pink shoes or as an option as a colour.Usually my shoes are bright orange or lurid yellow what ever is on offer :)

I have already booked February for a week in Tenby(I was due to go end of October for race but the race was cancelled as company went under) and I have Newport weekend in the diary.

Covid really does leave it's mark on us but hopefully next month will be better for you.

Good luck Rcouture and any other races this weekend?
31 Aug
7:48am, 31 Aug 2024
3,795 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - I hate pink and won't wear it. I have one race t-shirt that has pink panels, more a dayglo pink, and I wear that to the gym but that's because I can't actually see the pink when I'm wearing it. I have regularly complained to shoe companies about offering too many shoes in pink and fortunately that does seem to be less nowadays. The pink shoes are always in the sale.

Now running is going through another boom, bargain prices on the shoes are harder to find, but they're still there. I bought a great pair of Scott shoes from Sportsshoes last year reduced from £140 to £40 and I love them. I have a pair of Reeboks, great shoes, think I paid about £38 for them.

Good you've got your next 3 breaks already booked up, hope there are no more cancellations.

My RHR is normal this morning but just had a battle with my HP printer, which always puts my HR up. Followed by placing an Amazon order, that puts my HR up too, horrible website and a minefield trying to avoid the 'free prime trial'. Thankfully I only use Amazon about once a year when I can't get the product anywhere else. 😡
31 Aug
9:57am, 31 Aug 2024
3,937 posts
  •  
Big_G
Went out with the intention of putting a decent effort it in at parkrun today.

A coupe of weeks ago I was hoping for ‘around 22’ and did 22:05. Last week I did reps at around the same effort, and today I was hoping for under 22mins.

Decent conditions and I managed 6:55 and 6:57 for the two laps on tarmac, and as always the third lap on grass is slower for me but I managed 21:48 on my watch, which I’m happy with. On a flat, tarmac course in a proper race I know there’s a few seconds to knock off there.
31 Aug
10:47am, 31 Aug 2024
4,419 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G Well done on dipping under 22 minutes and more to come on proper course and race :)

Shades: Some good bargains but I noticed post Covid prices stayed high so it was nice to get a bargain.Must get another pair but hopefully not lurid yellow :)

Late start but a good 4 miles for me this morning had divert due to road closure as a house roof was ablaze it may even caught the roof next to it.
I bought next years diary so I can get the holiday dates in :)

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.