Shades Marathon Training

1 lurker | 30 watchers
2 Sep
7:29am, 2 Sep 2024
3,941 posts
  •  
Big_G
Well done Rcouture. Your HR seems very stable all the way through the race, which is great, and looks like you managed a sprint finish at the end too. I don’t know the course really, but is that a hill at mile 4, or a GPS issue you mentioned? As you say, not great conditions for you, but good news the niggles were under control, and just from the HR being so stable I reckon it looked like a good run!
2 Sep
7:32am, 2 Sep 2024
3,809 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - I think under those conditions that was a very good result. Your splits and HR are text book especially as you say you weren't redlining. Frustrating for you to be so close to your PB though.

When you finished at 10 a.m. I checked the forecast and the 'feels like' temperature was 27 with high humidity.

Good the achilles were OK, hope they're not troublesome today either.

You know you're in great shape and bodes well for Berlin.

Most runners don't hit the marathon time that their half marathon times predict, for a multitude of reasons. It can only be in your favour that you're stronger and faster at the marathon than in a half.

A few times I've run faster to halfway in a marathon than my half marathon PB.

5 miles this morning, at 5:30 it was 17 degrees and a 'feels like' 21 degrees and 99% humidity, legs heavy and it was a treacle like run again.
2 Sep
7:42am, 2 Sep 2024
4,431 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Well done Rcouture and I think you did well with the weather conditions.

Nice running Shades .
2 Sep
8:06am, 2 Sep 2024
3,811 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - have your RHR readings settled down now?
2 Sep
8:45am, 2 Sep 2024
3,943 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, I missed your question. I’m hoping to get up to 50-55ish (not really including the week of the 100MC marathon), but we shall see. I’m not going to push it. It was much easier to get up to mid-40s last week as I actually ran 6 days in a row (which I may repeat other weeks as the foot held up), but still nothing over 10 miles, so I still don’t feel I’m marathon training! One dilemma I do have is whether to enter a Half or a 10K, but I’m not sure I’ll really learn anything as I expect I’m going to go out at 3:45-4hr pace regardless at NYC, and see now I get on (it could be a disaster…). I have been eyeing up a midweek 5K race and at the moment I feel it’s more likely I’ll do that than a Half. 9 weeks to go until NYC. My recent parkrun time shows 3:32 for a marathon on McMillan but that seems very, very optimistic keeping in mind the training I’ve actually been doing doesn’t feel like marathon training!
2 Sep
9:04am, 2 Sep 2024
3,812 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - 50-55 seems a realistic training target. I'm a big fan of not doing long runs, you've a long history of long runs and marathons and with your PF you've successfully completed marathons with very little basic mileage and far less than you've done recently.

I agree probably nothing to gain by doing a 10k or half marathon. If you feel a 5k won't damage you then that's the best choice.

As you've built your mileage up steadily I think you could realistically look at a 3:30 to 3:45 at NYC.
2 Sep
10:42am, 2 Sep 2024
4,432 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Shades: It is static at 44 at the moment which is good.I had a very stressful day yesterday with Oh, so pretty wiped out and late to bed.I went out to run but Achilles sore and pretty fatigued so opted to come back and have early rest day. I have emptied Ice tub washed it down and refilled which is a workout in itself takes around 70 minutes but water butt is full :)

Race number arrived in post for 10k in two weeks.......
2 Sep
11:43am, 2 Sep 2024
3,813 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - well that's good about your RHR being steady, one less thing to worry about especially with all this Covid around.

Not so good about your rough day yesterday and the troublesome achilles. Hope you can have a decent nap this afternoon.

Hopefully cooler in 2 weeks time for your race.
2 Sep
12:59pm, 2 Sep 2024
3,945 posts
  •  
Big_G
3 of my hilly Haldon loops today for 10.5 miles. My trail shoes are great but I’ve realised that, in wet conditions like today, the Gore-Tex on them has the function of keeping water *in*, rather than out! :)
2 Sep
1:11pm, 2 Sep 2024
23 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Big G- Yes that mile 4 is Canary Wharf where the gps doesn’t function. Nice 10.5.

WP - Hope the rest day sorts you out

Shades - Nice run in gross 99% humidity

Rest day today for me. Achilles niggles fee fine.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.