Shades Marathon Training

4 lurkers | 30 watchers
30 Aug
6:30am, 30 Aug 2024
3,783 posts
  •  
Shades
Shoes ordered Ghost Max from Pete Bland. Best price I could find and free carriage. šŸ˜€

I was pouring over the shoe reviews last night and these moved to top of my wish list
30 Aug
6:49am, 30 Aug 2024
4,408 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I have also manually taken RHR 44 so back in normal range and slept so much better last night.Only up twice in night which is a lot better than of late. Also switched alarm off I only really need it on Tuesday.

Nice shoe shopping Shades.
30 Aug
7:00am, 30 Aug 2024
3,784 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - and how does that manual RHR compare to Garmin stats?

Glad you're feeling refreshed today.
30 Aug
7:11am, 30 Aug 2024
4,409 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Garmin had it at 46 so it is off and I took it manually twice to be sure as not done it manually before.
I will do hard reset on watch later and see how it behaves but why I would think it is accurate when it is not accurate for running and why I use a chest strap.

Only going to run for an hour or more and save long run for Sunday.
30 Aug
7:48am, 30 Aug 2024
3,785 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - the optical is supposed to be accurate at rest. But might it be taking an average rather than a real time reading? I don't think a reset would make any difference.

Geordiegirl has just had Covid and her Garmin reported no change in her RHR or HRV the whole time she was ill, which is really weird.
30 Aug
10:36am, 30 Aug 2024
4,410 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
What I have done is have a look and there is a real time HR so when I go to bed will switch it on .Rather average that it seems to be.

That is totally weird about Geordiegirl, as both my RHR and HRV showed it and HRV only went back to normal last week and is back in the red again this week.

5 miles this morning and it was cold 9 degrees it was Autumnal.
30 Aug
11:13am, 30 Aug 2024
3,787 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - hopefully real time readings will give you less variable results.

Was only 10 degrees when I went out in the car to do my food shop.

Has warmed up now but very pleasant as fresh, low humidity.
30 Aug
12:08pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,934 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, my HRV/RHR changed dramatically when I had Covid too. 2bpm difference is pretty good really Iā€™d say. I really thought you were going to report 5-10 difference! Maybe just keep noting the differences for a few days to see if they keep in line.

Cal, my OH has said I seem a lot calmer, and I am. I remember back in April/May 2021 when I was trying to get my 100th marathon done. I cancelled Manchester for my 99th and did a local one the same day as I felt I shouldnā€™t travel. And then my 100th in Belfast I literally got a call as my van wheels left the ferry in NI, and I cut that trip short, but did get the 100tu done. And itā€™s been like that with me checking messages as soon as I get up to see if the shit has hit the fan again. It was weird as every time he went into hospital it was a case of preparing myself for thinking he may not come back out again, which was also tiring in its own way, and then it was a case of ā€œokay, here we go againā€ when he got home. Lots of stuff going on and I did do my best, but it was still stressful, and Iā€™m aware what Iā€™ve said above could come across as selfish or heartless etc, but it wasnā€™t like that really - it was just trying to juggle his needs with still trying to live my own life. Regarding fetch I donate a small amount, mainly to get rid of the messages!!

2 of my hilly Haldon loops today for 7 miles. The first mile was a struggle as legs felt stiff and I wasnā€™t flowing, but after that I got into it and ended up having a great run.

Crazy I know as itā€™s early, but looking at ferries over to NL for Xmas. Happened to have found a Dutch marathon around the time we may be there, which Iā€™ve pencilled in.
30 Aug
3:32pm, 30 Aug 2024
3,790 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - I agree that long term worrying/stress can have a much more debilitating effect, albeit subconscious, than the grieving period.

Marketing email from Pete Bland offering latest Nimbus, Cumulus and Novablast shoes at discounted prices. All models on my shopping list. I shall resist šŸ˜Œ
30 Aug
4:56pm, 30 Aug 2024
4,414 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G: I will keep a note of both over weekend and thanks for input.

I also agree over long term stress and worry affects us more than we realise. I do understand in a different way with caring for Mr Wp it has been 15 years and the decline is so drastic.I am trying to be selfish and carve me time, running is non negotiable and I have been trying to go out for a few hours once a week to explore on bus or train but everything revolves around him and when I have any time I am too exhausted.

I feel slighted Shades no Pete Bland email as yet :) You did well to resist.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.