Shades Marathon Training

30 watchers
27 Aug
10:15pm, 27 Aug 2024
45 posts
  •  
Rob OHara
Big G sorry to read about your Dad, you cared well for him for a number of years, hope tomorrow goes well.

Shades sorry to hear about you Covid and missing IOM after looking forward to it.

Rcouture some great mileage, bet you’re glad to be hitting the roads rather than the treadmill belt.

WP I’ve always thought x training is shitty 😝

Ian hope the leg sorts itself out. A workplace hazard having to wear non running shoes and being on your feet for long periods.

Cal good to see you’re getting out still. Hope your patience is paid off.

Not much from me, after my fall I was in a lot of discomfort with the bruising. The leg still not not 100% and itchy where heeling. It have been for a few runs this week
28 Aug
5:28am, 28 Aug 2024
3,740 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - I do minimal upper body work. Deadlifts are probably the best choice of exercise which will benefit upper body too. You used to do yoga, I don't suppose you have time now.

When I was working, I dabbled occasionally in gym/yoga but generally I only ran, nothing else. Not enough time and when I had the time I was too tired.

Bit uncomfortable running past an excitable pit-bull, you might have ended up doing some 100% heart rate sprinting 😱

I just looked at Sunday's forecast, a fraction cooler than forecast before perhaps.

Rob - sorry to hear that leg injury has been troublesome, but good you're back running.

Am taking a rest day today. I don't have DOMS but I do have tired legs from yesterday's gym.
28 Aug
6:48am, 28 Aug 2024
3,743 posts
  •  
Shades
28 Aug
7:02am, 28 Aug 2024
4,392 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Rob: Sorry to hear leg gave you so much grief but glad you are back running.
Shades; Sorry to hear legs are gym tired :) Sounds like my legs I am going to swap long run to tomorrow and short progression run today. The rain also made the choice for me.

Did you see Saucony Triumph from Pete Bland last years version £102 and free postage.I had email yesterday from them.
28 Aug
7:36am, 28 Aug 2024
3,744 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - good idea to reschedule your long run for tomorrow.

I've had the same email from Pete Bland yesterday, haven't deleted it as I was going to have a look. I've always had great service from Pete Bland and if you're ever in the area well worth a visit to the shop.
28 Aug
8:38am, 28 Aug 2024
3,923 posts
  •  
Big_G
Shades, I think you may have put the marathon list up? Just letting you know the image isn’t showing for me. Pretty hilly and technical in places mind you, and as I’m generally crap at off-road it’s a lot of walk breaks for me. But I do enjoy getting out there on the coast paths.

WP, I’m lucky here as miles of coat path to explore if I want to.

Robert, sorry to hear you’ve been struggling. I was wondering how you were getting on. Glad to hear you’ve been able to run again recently though.

Rcouture, you’re doing great. Do you have plans for your taper, which I guess is on the horizon?

7.5 miles today. HR high so pace slow, and still pretty humid.
28 Aug
8:43am, 28 Aug 2024
3,924 posts
  •  
Big_G
(Not sure what happened there. Fat fingers I guess. The ‘Pretty hilly and technical….’ bit was meant to be part of my response to WP).
28 Aug
8:53am, 28 Aug 2024
3,746 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - Image is showing for me, how weird, just checked and showing on my PC and on my phone too.

Can you see it now?
28 Aug
8:55am, 28 Aug 2024
3,925 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yes, I can see it now.
28 Aug
8:57am, 28 Aug 2024
3,747 posts
  •  
Shades
I had to change the status of the photo from private to public. That's a bit weird, why would I want to post a photo that only I could see. Anyway, mystery solved.🤓

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.