Shades Marathon Training

9 lurkers | 30 watchers
26 Aug
10:21am, 26 Aug 2024
3,720 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - article I was reading said not to rise up. That's calf raises. But to lower the heel then return to normal stance. I've not had achilles problems but couldn't get my head around the difference between calf raises and calf drops so researched both on Internet/YouTube to clarify. But similar to what you're saying except not to rise up onto the toes at the start. And no weights.

Good the Machs suit you well. You obviously have no problems with the lower drop, are they 5mm?
26 Aug
10:28am, 26 Aug 2024
17 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Shades - At this point, I wouldn’t be able to manage the busy life without the mileage! I struggle to be productive on rest days for instance. I do the raises as longer term I think the achillles problems are related to my weedy, weak calves. Nice 4.

Big G - I also do eccentrics heel drops though will double check how they compare to this Alfredson chap’s. I love the machs. There is a mach X with a carbon plate that is meant to be good too though at that stage might as well throw on a vaporfly.
26 Aug
10:35am, 26 Aug 2024
3,914 posts
  •  
Big_G
Must be different slightly things than Shades. But although Alfredson’s includes raising up, that part is on both feet, so isn’t the main part of the exercise. The main part of the exercise is lifting up the good foot (so loading the bad foot) and dropping slowly down.

Mach 6 is stated at 5mm but it does feel higher than that to me, but I’ve not a way of measuring it.
26 Aug
11:34am, 26 Aug 2024
4,381 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sorry to hear about Achilles niggles Rcouture.For years I did calf raises but it was the calf drops that helped me the most.

Just under 7 miles over cycle track,no rain and shoes were good on slick surface after the rain from yesterday.
I saw some rabbits today first time on this route :)
So I better get another pair so I can rotate them!
26 Aug
11:43am, 26 Aug 2024
3,721 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - but perhaps you shouldn't be trying to build up your calf muscles while you have discomfort in the achilles area. Do the weighted calf raises when the achilles are healed and pain free.

Big G - yes, very similar but just what the particular article was saying. He was saying that runners are extending the discomfort in the achilles by doing the wrong sort of heel exercise.

I do calf raises in the gym. I don't use the calf raise machine as I find it uncomfortable on my shoulders so use the leg press instead.

I think the highest drop Hoka do is 6mm. Most are 4 or 5. But I think with Hoka the lower drop is more comfortable because of the rocker style of shoe.

Just done 40 mins of pilates at home. I'm not good at doing stuff at home but have found a website that I like.

Want to try and build up to a total of 2 hours pilates a week. This week the plan is 4 hours gym, don't really want to do consecutive days so will try for 3 x 80 minutes sessions. Be so much easier if there was 8 days in a week. 😅
26 Aug
5:26pm, 26 Aug 2024
3,918 posts
  •  
Big_G
Been for a nice Bank Holiday walk. Took the 30min train to Dawlish Warren, and walked back to Teignmouth, stopping in Dawlish for a cream tea, and Teignmouth for an icecream. Mainly flat except a massive hill out of Dawlish, and 6 miles in total. Much of this is on the the City to Sea route, but after Teignmouth on the race the worst is yet to come in terms of hills! We then caught the train back to Paignton from Teignmouth, and Tigg enjoyed the day out as well.

26 Aug
5:51pm, 26 Aug 2024
3,725 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - The cream tea and an ice cream seem to be a recurring theme of your days out. 😋

City to Sea for you next year perhaps?
26 Aug
6:23pm, 26 Aug 2024
3,919 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yes Shades, and then I wonder why those ‘stubborn couple of pounds’ don’t shift :) It’s nice though.

Yes, maybe I’ll do City to Sea again next year, or another year.
26 Aug
6:46pm, 26 Aug 2024
3,727 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - but at least they're combined with a decent walk too. And your running mileage is ramping up nicely so that couple of pounds will soon be gone.
27 Aug
7:06am, 27 Aug 2024
3,729 posts
  •  
Shades
4+ miles this morning. Went out at 5:30 and had to wear reflective vest as so dark. But a good time to go out as that's when the streetlights come on for the section of my run that doesn't have lights on all night. Very humid I could feel the sweat running down my back.

Gym this morning, 80 minute session planned. 😰

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.