Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
25 Aug
6:53am, 25 Aug 2024
3,909 posts
  •  
Big_G
Good luck, Ian. It’s a shame if the weather impacts these lead up races as if the conditions impact the race, it’s more difficult to know what level we’re at before our target marathon.

Rest day today. I am feeling good and could run, but I’m sticking to the plan (whereas in years gone by I’d probably have gone out anyway!).
25 Aug
7:27am, 25 Aug 2024
3,704 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - I looked at the entry website before posting this morning and I think it said entries close this morning.

Big G - it's so good to see your training going well and you're feeling well rested too.

A slightly better run for me today, easier to keep HR down and I didn't need to take a rest day after yesterday's gym, so hopefully DOMS are history for now. Nice morning, bit cooler and fresher. 4 miles, 19 miles for the week. Not much but more than last week 🤣
25 Aug
7:34am, 25 Aug 2024
4,372 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian Good luck today and hope conditions are better than expected.

Shades: That sounds very promising with DOMS and run.

I am very tired this morning bad night and RHR is up so either a short run or rest day.We just had a very heavy shower it was bouncing off pavements I would not have liked to be caught in that.
25 Aug
7:35am, 25 Aug 2024
3,705 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - no, I misread the closing date, ignore me 🤣
25 Aug
7:36am, 25 Aug 2024
3,706 posts
  •  
Shades
xpost WP - afternoon nap perhaps then today. No rain here, we had lots yesterday.
25 Aug
7:48am, 25 Aug 2024
3,910 posts
  •  
Big_G
WP, it was like that here yesterday when I went out but it had cleared up when I finished. I knew I was only going to be around an hour, and had a gillet on and it was okay. I’d considered gloves but decided against and didn’t need them yesterday.

Shades, Motleys are today doing Exeter Green Circle. Probably you’ve heard of it but it’s around 12 miles, mixed terrain, a few hills, and goes around the city. It’s something that’s been on my radar for a few years but I’ve never done it, although I was tempted today! But we’ve got other plans today, plus I don’t want to overdo it either.

exeter.gov.uk
25 Aug
8:02am, 25 Aug 2024
4,373 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
We never had any yesterday but we are due in heavy rain at lunchtime.I think you maybe right about afternoon nap :) Going to give myself till 9am if no movement to run a rest day.
25 Aug
8:02am, 25 Aug 2024
3,708 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - No, never heard of the Green Circle. Looks good and nice map too.
25 Aug
8:06am, 25 Aug 2024
4,374 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Big G Sounds like conditions today for us .Which is a shame as a sprint tri is taking place which was postponed from March/April due to weather.
25 Aug
12:21pm, 25 Aug 2024
280 posts
  •  
Ian5
Well that was tough,about 5 miles along the front and the wind was horrific, pretty rainy on the second lap also,1 thing I didn't think about was the sand whipping up and that was stinging on the legs and face,finished 1:38,no idea of time comparison but got it done.
OH was only 2 mins away from her PB so a great run in the conditions,she's looking really good for HCA.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.