Shades Marathon Training

7 lurkers | 30 watchers
25 Aug
12:49pm, 25 Aug 2024
3,712 posts
  •  
Shades
Well done Ian (and OH), that's impressive running in those conditions

Sand is horrible underfoot and in your face.
25 Aug
1:34pm, 25 Aug 2024
4,375 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Ian well done to you both.Sand really stings both face and legs.

Second outing in Mizuno in torrential rain and once again a great run for an hour.
25 Aug
2:16pm, 25 Aug 2024
3,713 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - a run in heavy rain is a good test for a shoe. You've recovered well from your tiredness this morning.
25 Aug
2:44pm, 25 Aug 2024
281 posts
  •  
Ian5
I actually underestimated, it was just over 6m along the front,2 the first time then 4.25 the next loop.There was a couple of places where a decent amount of sand had blown onto the path so had no option but to go through it.Overall I'm OK with it,would have preferred closer to 1:35 but not to worry.
25 Aug
5:02pm, 25 Aug 2024
3,715 posts
  •  
Shades
Ian - being a 2 lap course did you no favours with the weather. Some runners cope better with adverse conditions, I still think that's a very good time from you today.
25 Aug
8:37pm, 25 Aug 2024
16 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Ian - Sounds like the right effort ahead of HCA for you and OH. Has she got a time in mind for the race.

WP - Well done braving the rain

10 miles along the river Avon this evening near Bradford-on-Avon. Lovely around here and weather was perfect. Here till Tuesday morning. 62 miles this week and rest day tomorrow which feels needed. I have to be very careful as think I’m the fittest I’ve ever been but also on the edge niggle wise as this training block has had more and earlier intensity than I’m used to (still not very much compared to your average punter mind!). I have seemingly low level achilles tendinopathy on both sides and have done for weeks and that is the most concerning. It’s not getting worse and I am rigorous with weighted calf raises but still needs minding.
26 Aug
8:05am, 26 Aug 2024
3,717 posts
  •  
Shades
Rcouture - a great week's training from you. You do so well managing a busy life and the marathon mileage.

It's such a fine line being on that edge of absolute fittest and also vulnerable to niggles. That's not good that both achilles are sore.

I know you're meticulous at doing your research but last week I was reading an article saying that for achilles problems it should be calf drops and not calf raises. Weighted calf raises are used in the gym to increase the size of calf muscles. Of course I can't remember where I read that, which is of no help to you whatsoever. Calf drops and return to normal foot stance, don't raise up, that's what the article said.

4+ miles this morning, legs still sluggish but slight improvement. Nice morning and lovely and quiet as it usually is on a bank holiday.
26 Aug
9:42am, 26 Aug 2024
3,911 posts
  •  
Big_G
Rcouture, for achilles it’s Alfredson’s Protocol, or eccentric exercises. Basically rise yourself up on your toes on edge of stairs using both feet, keep the ‘bad’ foot on the floor by lifting up the good foot, and then lower down. I think more advanced and a deeper stretch (so best to be careful) is to bend the knee whilst lowering back down, although I can’t recall offhand if that is actually part of the Alfredson’s Protocol or not.

Ian, well done to you and OH in what sounds like very tough conditions.

10 miles for me today. Doesn’t happen often but I needed the loo around 4 miles in, but actually felt I built into the run a bit afterwards. It was slow overall but I am glad I got it done.
26 Aug
9:47am, 26 Aug 2024
3,912 posts
  •  
Big_G
Forgot to add, I tried out the new Mach 6 that arrived the other day. Felt good and I’ll be using them for NYC. I may do another run in them, maybe even the 100MC marathon, as I did find with my old pair of Mach 5s that they seemed to get even better with a few miles in them.
26 Aug
10:21am, 26 Aug 2024
282 posts
  •  
Ian5
Rcouture-You are looking really good now,just need to manage the last couple of training weeks safely.
Recovery run done this morning,just under 5 fitted in before work,it was my slowest run alone in a long long time.I am wondering if my sore leg is linked to maybe my work shoes being old,so I've got some new ones,not sure but I do a lot of hours on my feet so will see if it helps.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.