Shades Marathon Training

3 lurkers | 30 watchers
27 Aug
7:25am, 27 Aug 2024
4,382 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I know here it is not light till 6.15am if I went out at 5.30 I would need torch.Sounds like a good morning between run and gym session.80 minutes seems a lot in one session!

PT session for me today and rest day from running.
27 Aug
7:40am, 27 Aug 2024
3,731 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - my route today has street lighting all the way, one of my winter routes. Except for the section from halfway down my street where they switch off the lights at night. As if by magic this morning as I reached the dark section the lights came on one by one.

I want to start doing 4 hours a week in the gym, that's what I did in 2019 which was the right level for me to make progress with the fat/muscle %'s. But as I'm not doing any classes right now, I used to tag a gym session on after a class, I'm trying to limit it to 3 visits a week. So 3 x 80 minutes rather than 4 x 1 hour. If it doesn't work, it will mean 4 visits a week.

Enjoy your weights session today.
27 Aug
11:21am, 27 Aug 2024
3,733 posts
  •  
Shades
Well that was tough doing 80 minutes. Increased the number of sets on my legs/glutes work to extend to 50 minutes and now my quads are killing me. Hope I'll avoid any DOMS and be able to run tomorrow. Then 30 minutes upper body.

Big G - Chair was at the gym as the Teignmouth leisure centre is shut for 9 months for a 3.7 million upgrade/rebuild.
27 Aug
11:35am, 27 Aug 2024
4,384 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
Sounds a good tough session today for you....LOL I wonder if DOMS for you tomorrow :)

A good session with PT it makes all the difference with a fully healed shoulder you can really see the difference.I have a full body workout but usually quads ache tomorrow :)

Some animal had done its business on my ice tub cover and down the side and the mats so a good workout cleaning that up!!
27 Aug
12:30pm, 27 Aug 2024
3,735 posts
  •  
Shades
WP - must have felt so good not having to make allowances for your shoulder injury.

We might both have DOMS in the quads tomorrow. 🤣

Some animal, bird or mammal? Bloody cheek.
27 Aug
1:37pm, 27 Aug 2024
3,921 posts
  •  
Big_G
Well done on your session Shades.

Bad news on the unexpected workout there, WP!!

Something a bit different for me today. I had to be in Brixham to finalise some bits for tomorrow’s funeral so I bussed over and walked up to the funeral director.

After finishing there, I started my watch and ran the mile or so to Dad’s (to put the bins out!) and then ran back to Paignton along the coast path. I saw people at different points for a chat (including a Simon B who was in Brixham for a walk and a meal), enjoyed the views a lot and managed to make it home without buying an ice cream for 8 miles!

Saw the steam train too and had an enjoyable run.

27 Aug
1:46pm, 27 Aug 2024
4,390 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
No idea a lot of it and very runny!!

Big G those photo's look amazing! I love steam trains.Hope all goes well for tomorrow.
27 Aug
2:12pm, 27 Aug 2024
3,736 posts
  •  
Shades
Big G - you don't need to forgo the ice cream just because I mentioned it in passing. 🤣

Innovative run from you today, I don't suppose the funeral director gets many customers in running kit .😉

Nice pictures.

WP - yuk, hope the creature doesn't return to do that again. 🤮
27 Aug
2:16pm, 27 Aug 2024
3,922 posts
  •  
Big_G
Ha ha, not it wasn’t what you said Shades. I was very tempted in Paignton but it was lunchtime and I had a nice meal planned at home. I do have ice cream here so I expect I’ll have an affogato soon.
27 Aug
8:03pm, 27 Aug 2024
18 posts
  •  
Rcouture
Big G - Best of luck for tomorrow

Shades - I’m terrible and do zero upper body work bar some minor benefit from deadlifts. I can’t imagine the imbalances I’m building up but I just don’t have the time for it.

10 miles this afternoon near Newport where we’re at the in-laws. Just did loops of the local park though it was a bit uncomfortable as there was a rowdy pitbull off the lead with an owner who was busy effing and blinding in some argument on the phone. Luckily the pit was mainly just excitable rather than aggressive but a parent of a little boy did tell the lady to mind him but she refused of course.

About This Thread

Maintained by Shades
Back in December 2005 I started a thread on Runner's World offering a marathon training plan on 3 runs a week. I had my own running club at the time (Womens Running Network) and I had successfully trialled the training plan when I took a group of girls to Dublin to run their first marathon.

Over the years the thread has evolved into a chat thread, with a bit of training advice, race reports, for predominantly marathon runners.