Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

11 watchers
Jul 2023
2:59pm, 8 Jul 2023
2,261 posts
  •  
FurryH
I was in the sea scouts when i lived near the coast in wales. So sailed toppers and mirrors. There were lazers as well but I didn't like the centre mainsheet. As i got bigger used to sale an enterprise and we owned one for a while. Ive not done any sailing in 20 years or so apart from once in dominican republic when the all inclusive place had dinghies you can take out. I went with the wife as crew but she hadnt sailed much so got a suprise when the boat titled over and nearly lost her overboard. :) Not been sailing since just the canal where we live now.
Jul 2023
6:56pm, 8 Jul 2023
47,199 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, I got out in an RS Quest today. It was niiiiice! Me likey! Think the Wayfarer may be ditched!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJBeZp7QknE

Aren't people nice. Just turned up at the club that someone has answered on FB and they showed me around and took me out. No charge, no obligation. Lovely people. :-) G
Jul 2023
10:56pm, 8 Jul 2023
26,525 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I’ve found a lot of folks like that at sailing clubs.
Jul 2023
10:28am, 9 Jul 2023
50,265 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
The Quest looks great. Maybe not first choice if you want to go racing every weekend, but otherwise a really good family/cruising/social sailing boat. Interesting to see that you can specify it with either a traditional spinnaker or the asymmetric set-up.

Keep us posted, HappyG(rrr)!
Jul 2023
11:37am, 9 Jul 2023
2,401 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Fwiw I always prefer an asymmetric set-up to a spinnaker if I have the option:
- increased apparent wind = faster
- less risk of accidental gybe
- more comfortable boat motion
- no pole faff; uphaul/downhaul
- quick to deploy/retrieve on a furler
Jul 2023
1:36pm, 9 Jul 2023
50,266 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Same here, I really liked the asymmetric rig on the Laser 2000.
Jul 2023
7:12pm, 9 Jul 2023
47,207 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Or neither asymmetric nor spinnaker my preference!

Paddleboard around the sailing boats today. The teacher was _andy's daughter! 23C. Just glorious. Scotland isn't bad when the weather plays ball! :-) G
Jul 2023
8:32am, 10 Jul 2023
2,407 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
^^^^😁
asymmetric❌ spinnaker❌
Jul 2023
8:41am, 10 Jul 2023
47,212 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol Steve, I'm such a woose! Spinnaker a necessity when racing. And fine on a long, gentle downwind, but up, down, up, down in a loch? Err, no! And the asymmetric I always find scary, quite overpowering in anything other than light winds. But hey, might just take some getting used to. When it's my own boat I'm sure I'll get hang of it.

Going out in a Quest tonight with another new returner to dinghy sailing, so who knows what sails we might deploy tonight! :-) G
Jul 2023
9:58am, 10 Jul 2023
2,408 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Sounds great Happy, enjoy the process, there’s no rush eh?

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G