Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

11 watchers
Jul 2023
5:18pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,165 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Synge, didn't know you were a sailor too. Excellent. Yes, if there is something roomy like the Wayfarer but a bit more modern and lighter, that would be great. But as long as a slip way has grip and isn't too steep or long, can usually get it up and down, certainly with two.

I'm hoping I will have more time when I retire and have an idea to offer sailing tuition or just experiences on the lovely lochs around here as a retirement mini business. We shall see.

That's brilliant austenozzy (and welcome to Fetch forums as this is post number 2!) I loved Cornwall when we were kids, such lovely beaches. I think it's great for kids to get water confidence and our local loch is full of kids on paddle boards, inflatable kayaks and all sorts. Great that you help out with the sailing trust. Good for you. :-) G
Jul 2023
5:35pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,245 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I really enjoyed sailing the Laser 2000, austenozzy, even though some RS200 owners at the club tended to look down on it!

HappyG(rrr), I remember now that the other boat on my radar for 2 or maybe 3 was the RS Vision. It has a moulded hull rather than GRP, so it’s a bit heavier (but maybe also a bit cheaper) than some equivalents. There are a lot about, so maybe someone else who has sailed one will comment …
Jul 2023
5:46pm, 5 Jul 2023
26,515 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Ahaaaaarrrrrrr! etc ;)
Jul 2023
5:48pm, 5 Jul 2023
26,516 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
There’s a guy at our club who sails a Wanderer. I think it’s slightly smaller and a fair bit lighter than a Wayfarer. If I remember correct the club just bought another one so they can race against each other.
Jul 2023
5:50pm, 5 Jul 2023
26,517 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
H flies a Laser Radial, as does J. We’ve also got my old Wayfarer on the drive and a Solo that was given to us (but it needs A LOT of work doing). See that saying about gift-horses….
Jul 2023
6:14pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,246 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
This is all very timely! We’re on holiday this week and I can bring you live pics from our apartment balcony. Two classes racing, the aforementioned Solo and another boat whose name reveals our location …

Jul 2023
6:17pm, 5 Jul 2023
31,417 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I used to be a sailing widow - OH used to race National 12’s. We had a Mirror when the children were small and then First of May - built by a boatbuilder friend and based on an Orwell Corinthian. She eventually made way for Liberty - a Cornish Crabber - which OH used to sail from Ipswich to Padstow, via Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, at the end of the first lockdown. He then sold her to someone in Wadebridge who wanted to do a full restoration (she needed it after that journey!) OH has been boatless since and thinks, at 73, that he probably won’t sail again
Jul 2023
7:01pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,166 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Wow, great stories all. What is the boat class that reveals your location then Synge? I bet everyone else has it!

I don't know the RS's at all. The Feva and Quba at Lochore are new to me. The Feva is fine but not big enough for what I want to do. And I don't need any kind of performance. Rather stability and flexibility (eg v small out board on a Wayfarer or oars even).

Lovely pics to Synge. Owlie will be happy. :-) G
Jul 2023
7:15pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,247 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
It’s a Salcombe Yawl.
Jul 2023
7:23pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,248 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
That was a voyage and a half, HellsBells, and it ended very close to where the boat started its life, in Rock.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G