Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

1 lurker | 11 watchers
Jul 2023
3:59pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,160 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G
Jul 2023
4:02pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,161 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I'll just tag ya, Angus Clydesdale Angus C, - what have you got again?

I'm looking to get something Wayfarer sized for me plus 2 others - 1 adult and 1 child, 2 kids or at a push 2 adults.

Currently sailing RS Feva single handed at Lochore Meadows. About to do my RYA level 2 at the end of the month. Previously was RYA Level 5 (instructor!) but that was 1989! :-) G
Jul 2023
4:05pm, 5 Jul 2023
42,988 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I'm not a sailor but like looking at boats, yachts anything like that

Will there be photos
Jul 2023
4:14pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,162 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ooh, there could be Owlie. Unfortunately as that means uploading (soooo wish we could just copy and paste pics into chat in Fetch!) maybe not. Here - have a you tube video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_cImfQpY0
Jul 2023
4:17pm, 5 Jul 2023
47,163 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
That's where I'll be doing my course, 10 mins down road.

This is where I sail and generally boat, 5 mins down road (or a 4 mile run!) :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvNcDfrJLcc

:-) G
Jul 2023
4:37pm, 5 Jul 2023
42,989 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Looks fabulous Happy 😊
Jul 2023
5:00pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,243 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I spent many years sailing Toppers, then a Laser and a Laser 2000, mainly at Chew Valley Lake, a reservoir in Somerset. I used to enjoy club racing. Somehow it all fell away when the running started.

From time to time, I quite fancy buying a Solo. That’s even though I’ve heard it described as an “old man’s Laser”.

I did look at the Wayfarer at one stage when I was between boats. It’s a great design which has lasted well and can easily be sailed single-handed as well as two or three up. I think what put me off was the weight and the difficulty of retrieving it solo on a slipway. If you’re looking at 1+1, it may be worth considering the Wanderer as an alternative?
Jul 2023
5:01pm, 5 Jul 2023
50,244 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Oh, I misread that - if it’s you plus “1+1”, then the Wayfarer will be just the thing!
Jul 2023
5:11pm, 5 Jul 2023
2 posts
  •  
austenozzy
Yep, me! I live near the Helford in Cornwall, and volunteer as a safety boat driver and general lift n shift dogsbody for the Children's Sailing Trust, mostly for my daughter's old primary school.

The Trust started as a drive to teach local kids at primary schools on the north and south side of the Helford (so near Falmouth and on the Lizard) to sail and kayak, and how to be safe and confident around water. About 18 or so local schools and community groups take part. The Trust has recently taken on a quarry lake on the Lizard as a centre for helping disabled kids get on the water to experience a little freedom and excitement. They also have a fab cafe on site!

childrenssailingtrust.org.uk
Jul 2023
5:15pm, 5 Jul 2023
3 posts
  •  
austenozzy
In terms of my own boats - I have a tandem kayak I keep on a sea wall nearby and sometimes go out with friends if the weather is nice. And we have an allrounder SUP that sees a lot of use. I used to have a 24ft sailing boat (Snapdgraon) but I didn't the required interest from wife & daughter to make it a fair and viable use of time and money. So I gave it to a friend on the proviso that I get to come out on it now and again. I get to sail fevas and occasionally a nice Laser 2000 with the sailing trust (see my post above)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G