Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

11 watchers
Jul 2023
6:06pm, 21 Jul 2023
26,565 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
YAY!! :)
Jul 2023
7:44pm, 21 Jul 2023
2,414 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Get in! Excited for you ♪♫ Synge ♪♫💥
Jul 2023
10:41pm, 21 Jul 2023
47,323 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Must look at the Wanderer too then. Congrats Synge! :-) G
Aug 2023
8:54am, 3 Aug 2023
47,426 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I passed! (Kinda obvious?) Day 2 was great fun. It was very blowy, but given that I was happy it was just a wee boat and I'm a medium sized bloke, I reduced the reef that we had put in. Everyone else seemed to capsize, but I didn't. Was quite fun doing little mini races. Though one lap is a bit pointless, no chance to catch anyone if you didn't get start quite right.

Anyhoo, all great fun. I need to decide now if I have to do L3 course, before going onto Instructor or if I can skip it. The courses are fun, but £250 for two days. The instructor is a 5 day course and £500. No hurry though.

Boat recommendations have been Wayfarer World (an update to the good ol Wayfarer) and Laser Bahia, in addition to the RS Quest I've been looking at. Again, no hurry. Though with some blowy days recently would have been lovely to just go out for a blast!

Anyone else had any decent sailing recently? :-) G
Aug 2023
9:17am, 3 Aug 2023
50,540 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Sounds good, HappyG(rrr)!

I still need to agree a date to go and collect the new boat - hopefully in the next week or so. Just back from the Lakes where we took the kayaks onto Coniston Water and then to Windermere. We had a pitch right by the water at the Low Wray campsite, so had to carry them all of 20 yards to launch them! Lots of kayaks and SUPs out, but not many dinghies, at least at the northern end. Saw one or two of the rotomoulded hull designs out - Bahia, RS Vision and so on.
Aug 2023
12:04pm, 11 Aug 2023
50,614 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Collected the boat yesterday (photo in blog). We are very excited about this! 😀

Tomorrow we will tow it the short distance to our new club at Starcross and I’ll spend a happy day working out how to put it all back together again!
Aug 2023
12:33pm, 11 Aug 2023
47,482 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
OOh, exciting Synge. Off to check out the pic on the blog. What age is it? Wanderer has excellent reviews. There is a Wayfarer World too, which is an update moulded plastic Wayfarer, I think? Windy and sunny today. I want to be sailing! :-) G
Aug 2023
12:37pm, 11 Aug 2023
47,483 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Only 2 years old. Lovely. Looks beautiful. Happy sailing. :-) G
Aug 2023
10:50pm, 14 Aug 2023
50,626 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Thanks, HappyG(rrr).

Maiden voyage today - helmsman and crew are both smiling!

Aug 2023
12:11am, 15 Aug 2023
26,618 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Lovely! :)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G