Sailing - dinghies, yachts, inshore, coastal, ocean?! :-)

11 watchers
Aug 2023
9:01am, 15 Aug 2023
47,494 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Nice parallel tell tales! Brilliant to be out in your own boat. Where are you sailing there? Is it Devon? How busy is the Channel there?

I took _andy out last night for 2 hours in the Outdoor Centre's RS Quest. He hasn't said he'll never go in a boat again, so I think it was a success. His daughter is an instructor at the centre, so even though I'm not, they let me take him out. Was a glorious evening! :-) G
Aug 2023
3:48pm, 18 Aug 2023
50,659 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
HappyG(rrr) - it’s the Exe Estuary, which sits between Exeter and the coast. It’s tidal and there’s a fair bit of mudflat around low tide. The estuary mouth is quite narrow (at Exmouth) and the tide flows through the gap at quite a rate, so I think we’ll spend some time in the estuary before venturing out to sea.

If we get that far, the Channel is pretty quiet. No commercial ports in the vicinity and it’s on quite a concave bit of the coastline (does that make sense as a description - I hope so?), so nowhere near shipping lanes.
Aug 2023
3:55pm, 18 Aug 2023
50,660 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
That might have sounded a bit negative - around high tide it is a fantastic place to sail - about 8 miles long by at least half a mile wide, several landing points/waterside pubs and, at Exmouth, sandy beach and ice creams/fish and chips!
Aug 2023
4:21pm, 18 Aug 2023
47,528 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I got your first description and that sounded good, but upgraded to tying up at pubs and ice cream shops just sounds fab! :-) G
Aug 2023
6:56pm, 18 Aug 2023
2,425 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
♪♫ Synge ♪♫ that sounds perfectly lovely.

We trailed our dinghies to Whitby, Salcombe, Lake Vrnwy, Llangwm and more. I’ve sailed “big” boats around Britain and all over the world. I’ve never sailed the Exe. What you describe is IT for me. Marvellous.
Sep 2023
2:00pm, 4 Sep 2023
47,657 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Gonna brave getting my camera out in tonight's sail session! I have virtually no sailing pics, cos there's not much "down time" when sailing, all go! Though with crew and light winds a couple weeks ago, we could have done. Anyhoo, think I'm by myself, so don't mind if capsizing happens. I'll take dry bag on the boat and just get phone out when I need it. So, hope to post some pics next time, probably blog it too.

Been great fun. Took _andy of this parish out a couple times and think he enjoyed it. Not really teaching, but describing bits and bobs and letting him do as much or little as he wanted. Warm and sunny here at the mo, but quite a breeze too, so should be fun tonight.

Got quotes on the new RS Quest, and a bit eye watering, but it would hold its value. Annoyingly I keep seeing smaller, less popular boat classes for 1/10th of the price! I need to make a decision. Would love to have my own now, as it's great fun getting out on the water. I have proven to myself that I go with others, by myself and get use out of it, even with being a 5 day a week wage slave! So I don't think it's a flash in the pan. I think I would really make use. :-) G
Sep 2023
3:22pm, 5 Sep 2023
50,877 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
We went on our first Club dinghy cruise on Saturday. We weren’t quite sure what it would entail other than that we were due to go downriver on a falling tide. We followed the navigation buoys down the channel to a large sandbank near Exmouth, pulled the boats up and had a lazy hour chatting on a mid-estuary beach. Then back to base where the Commodore served us all with a cream tea! Not a bad day out!

Sep 2023
3:25pm, 5 Sep 2023
50,878 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
HappyG(rrr) - if you have the funds, I’d say go for it! I spent a fair bit more than my initial budget on a two-year old boat (with two years of the original warranty still to run) and I am so pleased I did. There’s no need to replace any rigging or fret about any repairs and the boat is a joy to sail. (And ultimately, if your situation changes, you can always trade it on!)
Sep 2023
6:18pm, 5 Sep 2023
26,670 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
That looks awesome Synge. :)
2 May
3:25pm, 2 May 2024
49,952 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Right, operation get a dinghy is back on! Needs to wait until after June hols and bathroom (which in turn had to wait for kitchen - expensive year!)

Wayfarer and RS Vision both avail for under £2k on ebay /Apollo Duck websites including road trailer and launching trolley.

Anyone else started their season? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Arrrr, yo ho ho ho, ahoy there me hearties heart etc.

Pirate speech optional.

Might just be me and Angus Clydesdale, but anyone else into sailing? I'm just getting back to dinghy sailing and loving it. I got canoe during lockdown cos a mate at work cajoled me into it. Then paddleboards because of the good people on the Kayaking and Canoeing thread. But when it's windy, paddling is hard. Sailing is so much better.

So... anyone? :-) G