Politics

1 lurker | 215 watchers
13 Sep
2:22pm, 13 Sep 2024
9,913 posts
  •  
simbil
jda wrote:Even specifically on the topic of communication I’d say Biden and Harris are/were pretty decent (meaning Biden 2020 of course). Clinton seemed to lack a bit of empathy, though it’s hard to tell how much of that is real and how much the press coverage.

Compared to Obama, they are poor. Obama could almost convince me the earth is flat, I'd just want to believe the guy :)
13 Sep
2:24pm, 13 Sep 2024
22,127 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Interesting point from a blog on substack, that Biden while behind Trump, the race was still coming down to Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia and/or Arizona. Harris is ahead of Trump (and opening up a little blue water today in several polls), but the race is down to Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Georgia and/or Arizona. All that's happened is we've had a vibe shift. The underlying figures have remained remarkably (and terrifyingly) stable.
13 Sep
2:30pm, 13 Sep 2024
6,433 posts
  •  
paulcook
You mean their electoral system is as flawed as ours?!
13 Sep
2:40pm, 13 Sep 2024
22,128 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Worse I'd say. Ours wasn't gerrymanding in the days of slave-owning to give the the white racist voters in the south greater say than the north.

theatlantic.com
13 Sep
2:51pm, 13 Sep 2024
4,498 posts
  •  
Cheg
The democrats were dead with Biden, whatever the polls say, there was no way he was winning after that shambles of a debate and his general cognitive decline.

Harris at least makes it a coin flip.
13 Sep
3:03pm, 13 Sep 2024
22,129 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I tend to agree, it's just they may still be dead with Harris, but it does highlight that most Trump voters vote Trump no matter what, and most Biden voters would have voted Biden no matter what, and will vote for Harris now instead. No-one that much is changing their minds , the main difference is some people unenthused by Biden who wouldn't have voted, now might vote. Turnout and registration remain key for the Dems because they have the numbers needed, as they did in 2016 but didn't persuade them to come out.
13 Sep
3:10pm, 13 Sep 2024
6,434 posts
  •  
paulcook
I've said it before, but I couldn't have voted for either Biden or Trump (though that's also a UK point of view as above). Harris, as Cheg, kind of insinuating, I don't know enough but yes at least she's changed the narrative.

And remember as in most elections, you're just mainly chasing a narrow band somewhere in the middle.
13 Sep
3:22pm, 13 Sep 2024
25,591 posts
  •  
larkim
[On the "slave-owning" phrase above. This may be me being far too woke, but on the Jess Ennis-Hill "Who do you think you are" programme last night a Jamaican historian corrected her on the use of the phrase "he was a slave" with a preference instead for "he was enslaved". A small thing, but I've locked that away as a better way of phrasing things, removing the use of the noun "slave" with an intent to show that enslaved people were not simply objects. So I'd try to use "in the days of enslavement" or "in the days where slavery was practised" instead of "slave owning".

It landed well with me, not a phrasing I'd considered be problematic before. Just sharing, not criticising!]
jda
13 Sep
3:29pm, 13 Sep 2024
17,800 posts
  •  
jda
Agree that Biden this time round was a bust, I couldn't have trusted him to cope with 4 more years. Last time was a different matter. And I think it's early to call Harris a poor communicator, she's barely been in the leader role for 5 mins and looks to be doing pretty well, certainly running rings round Trump, and the one substantive decision of running mate looks to have been a great one too.
13 Sep
3:35pm, 13 Sep 2024
22,131 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Noted larks - yeah you remind me, I'd heard the whole word "slave" is actually becoming problematic now for said reasons too. Also similarly "native American" is also no longer to be favoured because it was assigned by oppressors and categorises people as American when they may well not be, or choose not to identify as such.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.