Politics

1 lurker | 215 watchers
SPR
13 Sep
5:37pm, 13 Sep 2024
46,103 posts
  •  
SPR
larkim wrote:Sadly I've verified that she did in fact tweet that.

Pure racism. Nothing more or less.

The pets statement Trump made in the debate was racist already. We laughed at it because it was so ridiculous but it was racist and once they've gone that far there escalation of a similar manner isn't shocking. It's just disappointing that it doesn't have the effect of losing them most voters.

simbil wrote:Compared to Obama, they are poor. Obama could almost convince me the earth is flat, I'd just want to believe the guy

Maybe Trump is the best communicator out there as his base seems to believe whatever rubbish he comes up with, lol.
13 Sep
5:38pm, 13 Sep 2024
23,059 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
No, if he gets 44, he's probably down by 3-4pts.

Libertarian, green and others will pick up 3-4 nationwide.

And not impossible he could see a correlated fall in some states but increases by ~0.5% in swing states - enough to put him over the top.

Unless they've fixed the polling errors...
13 Sep
5:51pm, 13 Sep 2024
33,109 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Well, I doubt that. He was down 4.5 with Biden on 46.8% of the vote. We shall see. A rising tide lifts all boats and an ebbing tide has the opposite effect. His ground game in the swing states is a fraction of the Dems and that may be decisive.
13 Sep
6:01pm, 13 Sep 2024
9,914 posts
  •  
simbil
Trump is a division 2 communicator but has that wildcard firebrand ability :)

I've seen a few vox pops where they say they don't like him personally but like his policies and presumably believe he would get stuff done despite the usual conventions. So he appeals to a huge swathe of discontented US citizens and his crazy sideline comments drag in a few more from the lunatic fringe. The wider he can cast his net, the more chance he has of getting in. It's not a bad strategy, but hopefully enough voters will see he has no real interest in them.
13 Sep
6:08pm, 13 Sep 2024
22,132 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm - I remain optimistic, I think Harris will just about win. But I just don't think it's going to be at all comfortable.
13 Sep
6:09pm, 13 Sep 2024
33,110 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I have to goggle in wonder at people who hear "mass deportation of 10 million people" and fail to see the likely consequences of enacting that policy.

People over there seem to have lost any sense of morality, critical analysis or threat assessment. These are just normal qualities of a functioning adult.

How can people see the crap Trump posts about kittens and consider him a serious person and an electable politician?

Something is badly broken in the American psyche.
13 Sep
6:37pm, 13 Sep 2024
9,915 posts
  •  
simbil
Think I mentioned the New York taxi driver Trump supporter that I chatted to a while back? Second generation of Pakistani and Muslim heritage. Thought most of the problems were due to "African Americans" and that Trump would "deal with it". Not a moment of reflection that he could be next, or even first.
But the key thing there is that this person could see the problems caused by widespread crime and had been led down the path of othering some groups of people and somehow believing Trump was the answer.
13 Sep
6:54pm, 13 Sep 2024
23,060 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The whole NE of the US, excepting Maine's 2nd congressional district will likely break for Harris, so anecdotes from NYC don't worry me!
It's rural America that is the issue for Harris and that's why she's been campaigning outside the major cities - she can't "win" the rural vote, but she can make the margins less and then rack up enough votes in the cities to carry the swing states.
13 Sep
7:10pm, 13 Sep 2024
9,916 posts
  •  
simbil
That was a response to JB to explain the kind of othering thought process that leads some people to vote for Trump, despite it probably not being in anyone's best interest. Of course NYC won't go Trump - please try and keep up with the context before adding irrelevant remarks.
13 Sep
7:21pm, 13 Sep 2024
33,111 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I'm sure we can only guess at the crap that is being continually poured into American brains from Fox, X, Newsmax etc, but even allowing for that..

Read a book
Educate yourselves
Use only trusted information sources
Ask a simple question of all your leaders: who benefits?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.