Politics

6 lurkers | 212 watchers
31 Jul
9:28am, 31 Jul 2024
5,998 posts
  •  
paulcook
These people don't trust any information though Happy. They have one agenda.

In the last two weeks or so, we've had riots in Harehills and Southport, both being blamed on Muslims for different reasons. Yet neither had anything to do with the Muslim community.

To use the deaths of three girls and then cause first, this level of violence in that community and leave a trail of utter destruction, is the lowest of the low. I wouldn't normally say it but I hope they're hit with some very long prison sentences.
31 Jul
9:35am, 31 Jul 2024
22,940 posts
  •  
DeeGee
You've got a community with children who are afraid, and suddenly they find themselves even more scared because there's a rent-a-mob outside with nothing to do with the community, and buildings on fire, sirens from police cars and ambulances, and all they want to do is spend some time calmly with the people that they trust most.

Meanwhile there are people who've been treating the victims, who maybe need to spend a bit of time with their spiritual leaders to try to make sense of what's happening, or to say a prayer for the victims, only to find their place of worship is on fire.

It's utterly fucked up.
31 Jul
9:47am, 31 Jul 2024
50,573 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The activities in Harehills was due to Social Work and Police removing children into care and was a protest by the local community, as I understood the reports. Totally different situation. Agree, nothing to do with religion though.

I think just saying "it's far right nutters" is too simplistic. There are thousands of people whose reaction was "an illegal immigrant arrives on a boat, lives in UK and then kills children" and they are incensed. They don't have to be right wing extremists.

That they haven't checked their information sources, that the information is misinformation is their failing, yes. But that seems to be a common failing nowadays. Shouldn't the authorities be aware of this and do better at combatting that misinformation?
31 Jul
9:53am, 31 Jul 2024
7,610 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
To be fair, well before last night the authorities were saying the rumours are wrong, he was born in Cardiff. Their hands are also tied a bit by the law regarding not naming minors and not saying things that could compromise a fair trial
31 Jul
9:54am, 31 Jul 2024
3,807 posts
  •  
Big_G
It’s a difficult one, Happy. Within minutes (probably seconds if I’d checked quickly enough) of the shooting at Trump’s rally, there were conspiracy theories surfacing in the usual places. They take hold quickly and I’m not sure how authorities tackle that, and even if they did, the people reading and believing the conspiracy theories probably wouldn’t be swayed anyway.
31 Jul
10:12am, 31 Jul 2024
28,725 posts
  •  
richmac
On the back of this the EDL needs to be prescrived in the same way as C18, BNP etc. What they have perpetrated on Stockport is an act of terror.
SPR
31 Jul
10:14am, 31 Jul 2024
45,468 posts
  •  
SPR
When you say they don't have to be right wing extremists, it seems to me that right wing extremists were the ones spreading this message so they're getting their info from them or people that follow them?

If major political parties are spreading the message then that would be a different matter.
3M
31 Jul
10:17am, 31 Jul 2024
24,496 posts
  •  
3M
The "trouble" with any official response to civil unrest or riot in this country is that it has to attempt to contain and reduce any violence, not exacerbate it, so the hands of the police (mainly) are rather tied, quite rightly.

But to have to stand there, and be on the defensive rather than allowed to identify ringleaders/provocateurs and not be allowed to "extract" them from the situation must be incredibly frustrating for the forces of law and order. I don't envy the police their role, but I do quite admire their restraint in the face of provocation.

And all the while, there are families grieving from the loss of their children, and others anxious and suffering from the injuries they have been given. :(

There seems to be a relatively small segment of the wider population who delight in pain, violence and misery, instead of reacting with compassion and care.
31 Jul
10:19am, 31 Jul 2024
6,001 posts
  •  
paulcook
SPR wrote:When you say they don't have to be right wing extremists, it seems to me that right wing extremists were the ones spreading this message so they're getting their info from them or people that follow them? If major political parties are spreading the message then that would be a different matter.

From what I gather, it was something along the line of Russian bots and/or fake US news channel which had no more than 3000 followers on SM before Monday, and then gained lots of traction via David Atherton, some right-wing shyster. He knows what he's doing. In terms of what other information you can put out there, there are lots of restrictions because of the murderer's age. Another of Atherton's posts, I'll probably be sending onto the police if others haven't already done so.
31 Jul
10:22am, 31 Jul 2024
6,002 posts
  •  
paulcook
I think someone mentioned the likes of 30p Lee as well, though that might have been elsewhere. Anyway, he's managed to post about the running battles between armed kids and police in Southend last night, but decided not to have anything to say about the riots in Southport.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.