Politics

23 lurkers | 212 watchers
um
30 Jul
8:32am, 30 Jul 2024
8,726 posts
  •  
um
The WFA seems petty and vindictive, and sure to cause more bad press than good.
I'd have been far happier, even though it would cost me more, if they'd put NI on pensions*. (making the threshold at or just above the max state pension)

*although it may be they haven't the IT or ability to do that, given that many pensioners have multiple income streams

Social care? I hope 'they' are working a credible long term solution. The last one had all the signs of a last minute quick 'back of a fag packet' design and approach.
jda
30 Jul
8:36am, 30 Jul 2024
17,546 posts
  •  
jda
The whole concept of the winter fuel allowance was nonsense at the outset. It should be abolished, not subject to more bureaucratic fussing.
30 Jul
8:44am, 30 Jul 2024
22,936 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Over 65% of billpayers use monthly direct debit to pay energy bills according to my research (Googled the question and it took me to a Martin Lewis article). They don't have a significant uplift in their bills in the Winter as their energy providers divide their estimated annual consumption by 12.

Obviously, of those who don't pay by DD, I'd imagine many are on a prepayment meter, and I'd suggest they might be the ones who should be eligible for a slight uplift in the Winter. Why them, and not recipients of other taxpayer-funded universal benefits, though, I couldn't say...?

If they're not on DD simply because they're intransigent old stick-in-the-muds or keep their fortune in banknotes stuffed in a mattress then bollocks to them.
um
30 Jul
8:51am, 30 Jul 2024
8,727 posts
  •  
um
Or another approch? "Bollocks to the smug bastards ..."
I'd rather keep my money in the bank in my account than in my energy provider's account. They can't get the bills right, so why would I trust them with DD?

I don't prepay food, petrol or other shopping, why should I prepay for energy?
And I object to the agist view expressed.

(just slightly tongue in cheek before I get swamped. Is there a tongue in cheek icon/emoticon)
30 Jul
8:53am, 30 Jul 2024
22,937 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Of course, the other way to look at it is that I, as a taxpayer who has had a consistent real-terms pay cut since 2010 shouldn't be subsidising those with larger assets than mine, who've received annual real-terms taxpayer-funded pay rises anyway, from my taxes...
30 Jul
8:56am, 30 Jul 2024
22,938 posts
  •  
DeeGee
um wrote:I don't prepay food, petrol

I think you'll find...

You don't pay for either of those items after you've consumed them, do you? You pay for them, and then consume them.
30 Jul
9:14am, 30 Jul 2024
5,985 posts
  •  
paulcook
DeeGee wrote:Of course, the other way to look at it is that I, as a taxpayer who has had a consistent real-terms pay cut since 2010 shouldn't be subsidising those with larger assets than mine, who've received annual real-terms taxpayer-funded pay rises anyway, from my taxes...

Like the king ...
30 Jul
11:43am, 30 Jul 2024
22,793 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Lots of misinformation being floated around about the attacks in Southport yesterday - trying to promote anti-islam and anti-immigration rhetoric off the back of them.

Mr L Fox being one of the ones amplifying this. Mr A Tate being another. nitter.privacydev.net

And in case you missed it, Mr S Yaxley-Lennon fled the UK yesterday ahead of appearing in court. bbc.co.uk
30 Jul
11:55am, 30 Jul 2024
10,408 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Mmm, I'm not quite sure that's what Dr Fox has done, rather he roundly condemned the attacks without any particular political agenda.
30 Jul
11:58am, 30 Jul 2024
22,794 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Northern Exile wrote:Mmm, I'm not quite sure that's what Dr Fox has done, rather he roundly condemned the attacks without any particular political agenda.

Mr Fox. Not Dr former Tory MP Fox.

nitter.poast.org

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.