3 lurkers | 212 watchers
18 Jul
6:12pm, 18 Jul 2024
22,691 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
HappyG(rrr) wrote:The law is wrong fozzy

This misses the point though.

The law is what it is at the moment. And the case has been tried to that law.

If you want the law changed, then we're into politics and you then need to argue where the line should be and why.

If far right protestors had climbed on the M25 gantries and stopped traffic to protest about immigration, would that be justified too?

Or is it only the causes you believe in that should be allowed more latitiude.

Again I'm not saying you're not right. But I am trying to make you think a little critically.
18 Jul
6:13pm, 18 Jul 2024
32,794 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
My son is an environmental protester, but not a JSO guy. I shall ask him what he thinks.

The govt has to apply a balance between allowing peaceful protest and at the same time keep the country moving. It's literally one of their key duties.

It isn't easy and if they allow carte blanche to mass disruptions they won't be in power for long. That's the reality here.
18 Jul
6:26pm, 18 Jul 2024
4,300 posts
  •  
Cheg
What are they hoping to achieve?

Raising awareness? What % of the adult population are aware of climate change? 90%? In the uk it has got to be about saturation.

Are we trying to convert the what 5-10% of climate deniers? There is no changing their minds.

Now you are just pissing off the people you are trying to persuade to change. Whilst they sit with engine idling in hours long traffic jams.

Endangering lives, causing huge disruptions, economic impacts and just inconveniencing people trying to go about their daily lives.
18 Jul
6:32pm, 18 Jul 2024
22,692 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I think trying to make a judgement call on whether or not you think the line is in the right place based on a single issue doesn't help - need to make a decision on whether the line is in the right place and then judge everyone to the same standard.

If we make the judgement based on specific causes, then I would decide that no EDL protest or similar would be allowed, but many other causes would be OK. Because my biases would get involved.
18 Jul
6:49pm, 18 Jul 2024
11,504 posts
  •  
Fields
Cheg wrote:What are they hoping to achieve? Raising awareness? What % of the adult population are aware of climate change? 90%? In the uk it has got to be about saturation. Are we trying to convert the what 5-10% of climate deniers? There is no changing their minds. Now you are just pissing off the people you are trying to persuade to change. Whilst they sit with engine idling in hours long traffic jams. Endangering lives, causing huge disruptions, economic impacts and just inconveniencing people trying to go about their daily lives.

You’d have to be pretty stupid to not turn off your engine if sitting for hours in a traffic jam.
J2R
18 Jul
6:55pm, 18 Jul 2024
5,511 posts
  •  
J2R
I have to say I'm rather in agreement with Cheg here. So much of the JSO stuff seems to be fuckwittery to me, pissing off the people who already agree with them.
18 Jul
7:06pm, 18 Jul 2024
15,693 posts
  •  
Ultracat
They did jail suffargettes all those years ago, is it the same sort of thing?
18 Jul
7:17pm, 18 Jul 2024
32,795 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Good point.
18 Jul
7:37pm, 18 Jul 2024
21,965 posts
  •  
Chrisull
We haven't got enough spaces in jail. It just means more paedophiles and cops who coerce vulnerable women young women stumbling out of nightclubs into sex while they are on duty, go free with suspended sentences doesn't it?

Before you go - no it doesn't, yes it does because the judge involved gave suspended sentences to both exactly these crimes!!

He said it was a deterrent, well to be honest I think JSO's tactics are imbecilic, but they were'nt jailed ultimately for the M25 protest, but because they were planning more protests of a similar ilk and one of the protestors was a plant and actually a Sun journalist who leaked the info.

And I believe in peaceful protest and 5 years or 10 year's well it's no fucking deterrent to be a martyr.
jda
18 Jul
7:59pm, 18 Jul 2024
17,498 posts
  •  
jda
I don't care about the particular cause, and it's not the point.

Do we really give people 5y in prison for peaceful protests?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.