Politics

2 lurkers | 212 watchers
18 Jul
4:10pm, 18 Jul 2024
15,692 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I thought Biden suffered from a stutter which will affect how he speaks.
18 Jul
4:19pm, 18 Jul 2024
25,198 posts
  •  
larkim
Fields wrote:5 years for just stop oil protestors Let’s see what the Labour govt does about this - seems extreme for NVDA which is protesting the climate crisis Perhaps a prime minister who pretended to care about human rights for a few years will have a view (before he became authoritarian and supported imprisoning women for not paying tv licences) Compare to punishment given out for breaches of environmental quality, Thames water, sewage on beaches etc

Oh give it a rest. His humanitarian credentials on pro bono work to stop people being executed are unquestionable.

He has imprisoned precisely zero people himself; it's not the role of the DPP to subvert the laws that politicians have signed into place, nor is it his role to insist judges and magistrates act in a specific way.

It's a lazy critique and I don't quite know why I even bother to type a response.

However, I 100% agree that the punishments handed down to the JSO protesters are wrong and utterly disproportionate, and I would like the new govt to intervene.
18 Jul
4:34pm, 18 Jul 2024
28,563 posts
  •  
richmac
Why stop reality get inthe way of painting Starmer as the anti christ ?
18 Jul
5:05pm, 18 Jul 2024
20,752 posts
  •  
Dave W
Well he’s not Saint Jeremy of Corbyn so he will be forever damned.
18 Jul
5:05pm, 18 Jul 2024
11,500 posts
  •  
Fields
larkim wrote:His humanitarian credentials on pro bono work to stop people being executed are unquestionable..

The more I learn of Keith his human rights work seems opportunistic and something he did not believe in done simply to further his career

if Labour cared about the climate crisis and the ever creeping outlaw of protest there’d have been bills outlined yesterday

As it is Starmer will want to use the anti protest legislation himself as the appointed agent and protector of the neoliberal consolidator state
18 Jul
5:30pm, 18 Jul 2024
50,457 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I also agree that jailing climate protesters is disgraceful

bbc.co.uk

They're fighting for you and your children and grandchildren, you f-ing muppets. Grrr.
18 Jul
5:31pm, 18 Jul 2024
21,964 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I have a friend who says the same about Jess Phillips work for domestic abuse victims - he says that she's just doing it to big herself up - and I profoundly disagree, but he will never agree with me so I choose not to argue.

It's possible for people to hold bad positions on some things and do/have done some really great stuff. People aren't all good or all evil. They're always a mix. Feels like it shouldn't even need pointing out.
J2R
18 Jul
5:36pm, 18 Jul 2024
5,510 posts
  •  
J2R
Fields, in your view is the current Labour government an improvement on the Tory government it replaced?
18 Jul
5:52pm, 18 Jul 2024
4,298 posts
  •  
Cheg
HappyG(rrr) wrote:I also agree that jailing climate protesters is disgraceful bbc.co.uk They're fighting for you and your children and grandchildren, you f-ing muppets. Grrr.
They aren’t furthering their cause and are causing huge disruption. Lock them up.
18 Jul
5:55pm, 18 Jul 2024
50,458 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cheg wrote:HappyG(rrr) wrote:I also agree that jailing climate protesters is disgraceful bbc.co.uk They're fighting for you and your children and grandchildren, you f-ing muppets. Grrr. They aren’t furthering their cause and are causing huge disruption. Lock them up.

Is that a joke Cheg? If so, you need to include a winky or a smiley? If not, you need to read a book.

amazon.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.