Politics

1 lurker | 212 watchers
18 Jul
11:23am, 18 Jul 2024
25,194 posts
  •  
larkim
SPR wrote:@larkim any reporting like that makes the democrats look bad themselves given they'd have been privy to what was going on.

Yes, but equally there are Dems who are dead set on getting him removed, so leaking or briefing that sort of stuff would be in their interest to accelerate the process.
18 Jul
11:31am, 18 Jul 2024
32,792 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Every Dem I’m listening to is very sad about the situation, not to mention being completely bent out of shape by fears and anxieties. They really don’t want this, but stakes really are too high this time to go ahead with a fading old man.

Trump isn’t normal and some of the people supporting him are actually properly evil, and they will use his appeal to get into power and then use his laziness, stupidity and absence of a moral compass to wreak havoc when they get in.
18 Jul
12:09pm, 18 Jul 2024
9,154 posts
  •  
Pothunter
One of the YouTube channels MrsPH was watching the other day had a US commentator who said “when I think of Trump I think ‘hell no’, when I think of Biden I think ‘oh no’.
18 Jul
1:04pm, 18 Jul 2024
143 posts
  •  
Yakima Canutt
larkim wrote:Harsh! What I've seen / read is that the issue is that there is a public perception of decline. Maybe I'm underplaying some of the internal reports about him losing focus in the evening etc. But they are equally backed up by regular reports of how sharp and focussed he is, even if he has had the odd lapse whilst in front of a camera etc. If the Dems really want to sink him and get a new candidate in, they'd need to be leaking constantly reports about him making behind the scenes gaffes and errors to force the position. That's not (yet) been the tack they've taken, or at least not with any ferocity.

Perceptions, image and public presence matter in all things and especially US presidents. I cannot help but think that if Biden stumbles the way he did in the public debate when what on earth if going on in private and behind closed doors important meetings and discussions. People "say" he is sharp as a tack, but they are his supporters and I would expect them to say that.

When I hear Biden speak I generally find his tone and language stumbling. His words seem to run into one another. I appreciate he was a bit like that in earlier years, but he looks, sounds and talks like an old man with cognitive impairment

The bit that makes me angry is that Trump should be an open goal and the Democrats and Biden should have had succession planning in place from the start of his presidency (it was talked about back then). Instead ..... here we are.
18 Jul
1:11pm, 18 Jul 2024
25,196 posts
  •  
larkim
Yakima Canutt wrote: When I hear Biden speak I generally find his tone and language stumbling. His words seem to run into one another. I appreciate he was a bit like that in earlier years, but he looks, sounds and talks like an old man with cognitive impairment

Maybe; but then Trump can literally babble any old nonsense which by any objective standard makes less sense than just about any depth that Biden's communication has sunk to, and yet gets a free pass from his supporters. Incomprehensible!!
jda
18 Jul
2:09pm, 18 Jul 2024
17,494 posts
  •  
jda
Of course Biden is in decline, palpably. But even for those who can't see that yet, try looking ahead 4.5 years, because that's when he thinks he should still be president.

"What about Trump" simply isn't a valid response to people questioning Biden's fitness for office. Sure, in a two horse race, I'd still vote for Biden over Trump. But it's a dire choice and a lot of less committed people will not make that decision.
18 Jul
2:58pm, 18 Jul 2024
25,197 posts
  •  
larkim
Whether he is or isn't is probably moot at the moment. The perception is that he is in decline. It's like Nixon and his sweat.
SPR
18 Jul
3:06pm, 18 Jul 2024
45,268 posts
  •  
SPR
I've wondered previously whether insiders had a plan for Biden to be elected and the Harris take over at some point during his term.

larkim wrote:Yes, but equally there are Dems who are dead set on getting him removed, so leaking or briefing that sort of stuff would be in their interest to accelerate the process.

If they would rather have Trump in then that would make some sense, but if they still think there's a chance of winning that gambit would be a pretty big risk. Harris is the expected replacement and she'd have known he was capable and I reckon that could stick later if he was forced out due to specific actions in private.
18 Jul
3:07pm, 18 Jul 2024
1,092 posts
  •  
Dibble
Not only is there the worrying perception that Biden is in decline. There is also the worrying perception that the Democrats are choosing to deny something that seems apparent to outsiders.
18 Jul
4:04pm, 18 Jul 2024
11,499 posts
  •  
Fields
5 years for just stop oil protestors

Let’s see what the Labour govt does about this - seems extreme for NVDA which is protesting the climate crisis

Perhaps a prime minister who pretended to care about human rights for a few years will have a view (before he became authoritarian and supported imprisoning women for not paying tv licences)

Compare to punishment given out for breaches of environmental quality, Thames water, sewage on beaches etc

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.