Politics

1 lurker | 212 watchers
SPR
18 Jul
8:43am, 18 Jul 2024
45,259 posts
  •  
SPR
Simbil said this previously, he has to be shown he's losing AND someone else can win. I don't see both myself, part of the reason he's the candidate in the first place is no one was clearly superior. It's not like the democrats are coalescing around new candidate.

In terms of medical conditions, it seems clear to me he was referring to long-term/ permanent conditions. TBH he'd have little choice but to pull out at that point. People are already diagnosing him with conditions.
18 Jul
8:43am, 18 Jul 2024
32,788 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
“ Pelosi privately told Biden polls show he cannot win and will take down the House; Biden responded with defensiveness”
SPR
18 Jul
8:51am, 18 Jul 2024
45,260 posts
  •  
SPR
Part of the problem it seems to me is they didn't care about the issues when they all definitely thought it was their best chance to win.

I've not heard any leaks on who they all want to take over or will that end up being a fight as well?
18 Jul
8:52am, 18 Jul 2024
32,789 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I wouldn’t say he is superior without knowing who else is available. There are some seriously impressive democratic politicians. Given his achievements in his first term it would have been dumb to try and run against him for political and party unity reasons - not for reasons of personal ability. A chap called Dean Phillips tried to run against him and was squashed, but all his reasons for running are now manifesting themselves in Biden’s faltering campaign.

He *is* the incumbent; he would be expected to run again in normal circumstances and if he was 50 the current situation would not even arise. He does have some major positives, given he defeated Trump, but he must know he is fading and that by 2028 he will have faded much further still. His judgement is well out on this and he needs to step aside. He’s showing no signs he can claw this back in what is already an uphill struggle.
18 Jul
8:55am, 18 Jul 2024
32,790 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It could be a fight but my suspicion is they will want it out of the way quickly and with minimum internal ructions so they will figure out a way to slot in Harris with a pale male as a running mate. The clock’s ticking though. They have very little time left.
18 Jul
9:15am, 18 Jul 2024
25,189 posts
  •  
larkim
It all seems so clear and obvious from over here, but there seems to be no chance that Biden is swaying on this at the moment.
SPR
18 Jul
9:18am, 18 Jul 2024
45,261 posts
  •  
SPR
It seems so clear and obvious because it's all we hear in the news, it's a self fulfilling prophecy!
18 Jul
9:20am, 18 Jul 2024
25,190 posts
  •  
larkim
I suppose what I meant was that given that it is hard to empathise with the US voting public where more than 50% of likely voters might actually vote for Trump again, understanding the Biden situation may also fall into that category of "you have to be American to understand it".

I can absolutely understand 25% of people voting for Trump. It's the other "sane" 25% that I can't get my head around (round sum estimates!). Perhaps the same applies to the Biden situation?
jda
18 Jul
9:24am, 18 Jul 2024
17,493 posts
  •  
jda
Larkim, perhaps you’ve not had the pleasure of an elderly relative in denial about the decline of their critical faculties. It’s far from uncommon.
18 Jul
9:28am, 18 Jul 2024
25,191 posts
  •  
larkim
That's true, I don't have that personal experience. But equally I don't get the sense that Biden is anywhere near that trajectory. My understanding of it is that it is primarily the issue of the perception of being in cognitive decline (or a prospect of it happening in the next Presidential term) which is the issue, not that there is any real sense, bar a few public gaffes which pale by comparison to the nonsense spouted by Trump on a regular (and well documented) basis, that there is a real or meaningful decline - yet.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.