Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
9 Jul
12:34pm, 9 Jul 2024
20,467 posts
  •  
Dave W
“‘stop the lunatic woke virus“

It probably doesn’t really matter to her. She’s just playing up to the bigoted idiots in her party.
9 Jul
12:35pm, 9 Jul 2024
9,100 posts
  •  
Pothunter
Based on the class clown nature of his campaign I don’t see much wrong with the “I suppose” statement. I see it as more of “based on your tomfoolery I didn’t expect you to get as many seats as you did so I suppose I need to congratulate you on that”

I don’t particularly like LK as a presenter (and there are plenty of others in that category) but I think the level of criticism in this case is somewhat over the top.
9 Jul
12:43pm, 9 Jul 2024
5,788 posts
  •  
paulcook
larkim wrote:There'll always be some triviality. Wasn't it the "rumour" that "Mark D'Arcy" in Bridget Jones' Diary was partly based on Starmer? When he was elected I think Lucy Porter made a similar observation about Starmer on HIGNFY or a similar show. (And I think I went on record here noting that Starmer photographed well in the manifesto. I'm not totally immune to the trivialities of politics!)

Apparently not true. But you made me look it's that wild a story!

theguardian.com

But generally, it's frivolous twaddle, imvho.
9 Jul
12:50pm, 9 Jul 2024
5,789 posts
  •  
paulcook
And in further allegations of BBC bias, the Greens have lodged a complaint that their results weren't broadcast live. Again, I'm not really seeing that either.

Carla Denyer, for one, was interviewed pretty soon after her win.
9 Jul
1:06pm, 9 Jul 2024
21,890 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yeah I did see Denyer's speech (on the Beeb I think), and I'd argue there it was just the BBC being absolutely crap, rather than biased. The coverage was shockingly bad.

We were watching at 3.00ish with Braverman's speech seeing all these great seat losses on the ticker and the Beeb were just ignoring them. Far too much coverage given to "big names" of any party (Labour included) than the results.

It's like social media doesn't exist, I mean I knew Corbyn had won long before they did it seemed.
9 Jul
1:09pm, 9 Jul 2024
21,891 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I don't like Harpin (on the right of the Labour side), but his account of Corbyn's win is funny and honest:

jewishnews.co.uk
9 Jul
1:16pm, 9 Jul 2024
5,790 posts
  •  
paulcook
An interesting (maybe!) diagram of the left-right balance of the Tory party. And oh look Braverman out almost way by herself.

x.com
9 Jul
1:29pm, 9 Jul 2024
28,446 posts
  •  
richmac
larkim wrote:There'll always be some triviality. Wasn't it the "rumour" that "Mark D'Arcy" in Bridget Jones' Diary was partly based on Starmer? When he was elected I think Lucy Porter made a similar observation about Starmer on HIGNFY or a similar show. (And I think I went on record here noting that Starmer photographed well in the manifesto. I'm not totally immune to the trivialities of politics!)

Film is 2001, doesn't rake much to dispell does it
9 Jul
1:31pm, 9 Jul 2024
28,447 posts
  •  
richmac
paulcook wrote:And in further allegations of BBC bias, the Greens have lodged a complaint that their results weren't broadcast live. Again, I'm not really seeing that either. Carla Denyer, for one, was interviewed pretty soon after her win.

I think they were looking for the shock value of Reform doing well
9 Jul
1:34pm, 9 Jul 2024
4,284 posts
  •  
Cheg
Come on Larkim I do try and find the good in your constant attempts to be contratary, but the 'I suppose' there is no way to spin that. It was such an odd turn of phrase, there is no way that wasn't pre planned. It is just two words, but pretty significant ones.

We have the Olympics coming up soon. If a GB athlete gets a bronze because a couple of people trip in their race, if the interviewer says "Well done, I suppose." That interviewer can be rightly told to fuck off.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.