Politics

4 lurkers | 212 watchers
9 Jul
11:46am, 9 Jul 2024
25,048 posts
  •  
larkim
jda wrote:There is no substance, larkim. It's just politics, all they have is words. Some refuk racist calling Sunak a p*** is just words, don't be so sensitive?

For once I don't understand that critique. Is that about LK's use of words?
jda
9 Jul
11:48am, 9 Jul 2024
17,450 posts
  •  
jda
It's about you saying we shouldn't care about LK's words, only the substance. She's a journalist. Literally all she does is words.
9 Jul
11:53am, 9 Jul 2024
25,050 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, but those were just two words. Maybe they belie an underlying dislike of Davey, or a bias in favour of the Tories, or a dislike of the Lib Dems. But they are hardly something which impact the quality of the journalism, they are disposable.

If she'd had that opening, and then followed it up with "I think it's fair to say that the Tories beat you in lots of constituencies, and the story of the night is clearly that the Tory vote held up against your onslaught; isn't that a damning indictment of the trivial campaign you ran?" then maybe I'd see more substance to the phrase. Or if she continued to pursue a nonsense line of enquiry. Her substance, as words, are the questions she asks, not the preamble phrases she uses.
9 Jul
11:54am, 9 Jul 2024
25,051 posts
  •  
larkim
I also think "we" need to lift politics out of of sniping at tiny little prickles like that and rise above it, give politics some dignity. Picking on specific phraseology like that, clipping it and sharing it across Xwitter etc is all part of the trivialising of politics. If there is any point to my defence of LK, that's probably my gut feeling.
9 Jul
11:57am, 9 Jul 2024
20,465 posts
  •  
Dave W
No. It was a spiteful little dig that she thought she could get away with.

Do you think she said it by accident?

And Paxman was a pillock as well. He’s partly to blame for why politicians are so wary of the gotcha moment. And why we get such nothing answers from them.
9 Jul
12:01pm, 9 Jul 2024
25,052 posts
  •  
larkim
Dave W wrote:No. It was a spiteful little dig that she thought she could get away with. Do you think she said it by accident?

Accident, probably yes. I seriously doubt that it was premeditated. Unconscious bias, maybe. But nonetheless, I couldn't care less if the substantive questioning and interrogation is fair and robust. Or if she editorialises a story to put a spin on it which is not borne out by reality.

Give me examples of that and we're onto a more sensible territory for discussion.
9 Jul
12:02pm, 9 Jul 2024
25,053 posts
  •  
larkim
larkim wrote:But nonetheless, I couldn't care less provided that the substantive questioning and interrogation is fair and robust. Or if she editorialises a story to put a spin on it which is not borne out by reality. Give me examples of that and we're onto a more sensible territory for discussion.

Better phrasing when i read this back. Editing myself.
9 Jul
12:23pm, 9 Jul 2024
5,786 posts
  •  
paulcook
Just words:

Caitlin Moran: Keir Starmer has turbocharged my arousal levels, I feel fruity
The Spectator: The Starmers are sexy

Not so quick on the words of a now distant "Dishi Rishi", is this the level of political analysis some of our press provide?!
9 Jul
12:30pm, 9 Jul 2024
28,444 posts
  •  
richmac
JamieKai *chameleon* wrote:theguardian.com Horrible, horrible woman. I'm glad the tide appears to now be going against her.

I saw this as well, what does it actually matter to her what piece of cloth is fluttering at the end of a flag pole ?

Whats wrong with sending a message of inclustion?

Vile person
9 Jul
12:32pm, 9 Jul 2024
25,054 posts
  •  
larkim
There'll always be some triviality. Wasn't it the "rumour" that "Mark D'Arcy" in Bridget Jones' Diary was partly based on Starmer? When he was elected I think Lucy Porter made a similar observation about Starmer on HIGNFY or a similar show.

(And I think I went on record here noting that Starmer photographed well in the manifesto. I'm not totally immune to the trivialities of politics!)

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.