Politics

7 lurkers | 212 watchers
5 Jul
1:44pm, 5 Jul 2024
43,201 posts
  •  
Nellers
I watch Ch4 last night, Fetch. It was just the speech I resorted to the BBC feed.
5 Jul
1:46pm, 5 Jul 2024
24,975 posts
  •  
larkim
fetcheveryone wrote:I got that vibe off her all evening.

Funny I've never had that vibe from her. I've seen the various sm commentary about her etc, but never found her anything other than effective and unbiased.

Probably my lack of emotional awareness as usual!!
5 Jul
1:48pm, 5 Jul 2024
22,625 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
larkim wrote:fetcheveryone wrote:I got that vibe off her all evening. Funny I've never had that vibe from her. I've seen the various sm commentary about her etc, but never found her anything other than effective and unbiased. Probably my lack of emotional awareness as usual!!

You only have to read her "opinion" pieces to know her broad political positions.
5 Jul
1:50pm, 5 Jul 2024
43,202 posts
  •  
Nellers
I do think there's an element of finding what you bring to things. I hear all the time how ridiculously lefty all the BBC coverage is from those on the Dark Side......sorry, I mean the right of the political spectrum, and I just can't see what they're referring to at all. Seems the opposite to me.

I'd like to think that's because I'm being more balanced but it's probably at least in part because we're looking from, as Obi Wan would have said, a certain point of view.
5 Jul
1:53pm, 5 Jul 2024
21,869 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Greens came 2nd in 40 seats - they can grow from that base (yeah I now reform were second in 98)
5 Jul
1:59pm, 5 Jul 2024
5,709 posts
  •  
paulcook
2nd place in 138 seats combined is some achievement for them both. And likewise some voice difficult to just ignore.
5 Jul
2:00pm, 5 Jul 2024
66,673 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Laura is a smartarse. That’s it basically
5 Jul
2:07pm, 5 Jul 2024
5,710 posts
  •  
paulcook
larkim wrote:fetcheveryone wrote:I got that vibe off her all evening. Funny I've never had that vibe from her. I've seen the various sm commentary about her etc, but never found her anything other than effective and unbiased. Probably my lack of emotional awareness as usual!!

The "accusations of bias" section on her Wikipedia entry takes up a good third to half the page.
5 Jul
2:16pm, 5 Jul 2024
43,203 posts
  •  
Nellers
Is it in both directions or just anti-lefty?
5 Jul
2:17pm, 5 Jul 2024
24,977 posts
  •  
larkim
paulcook wrote:larkim wrote:fetcheveryone wrote:I got that vibe off her all evening. Funny I've never had that vibe from her. I've seen the various sm commentary about her etc, but never found her anything other than effective and unbiased. Probably my lack of emotional awareness as usual!! The "accusations of bias" section on her Wikipedia entry takes up a good third to half the page.

Just had a read through those; quite amusing really. Most end up in conclusions drawn by the BBC or others that there was no bias. Some are biased against Labour, some are biased against Tories. So basically, no evidence of bias.

It's fine for people not to like her style, but the classic "she was in Young Conservatives" sort of attack is very naive; people interested in politics in student days tend to take a side one way or another. There aren't many 19yos who have strong interest in the government and politics that are entirely unbiased observers of the stuff, so it's no great surprise if someone with a talent for journalism happens to have a history on one side or another.

Of course, now she'll be facing a new political landscape, every time she interviews Starmer she'll be accused of being a shill for the Tories. Or maybe now the Tories will start complaining that she's biased against them.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.