Politics

3 lurkers | 212 watchers
5 Jul
11:51am, 5 Jul 2024
32,703 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
There's still a lot of prize rotters in Parliament - Jenrick, Chope, Swayne, McVey, Patel, Braverman, IDS, Gavin Williamson, Admiral Sir Captin Mark Francois FFS.
They are moving Right big time. I hope they are still scrapping it out with Reform come the next election. One more big loss will learn 'em a bit.
J2R
5 Jul
11:51am, 5 Jul 2024
5,416 posts
  •  
J2R
Very disappointed, but unsurprised, to see Great Yarmouth going to Reform. On the other hand, some great results elsewhere in Norfolk, such as the ejection of Liz Truss. Also very pleased for Adrian Ramsay taking Waveney Valley for the Greens.
SPR
5 Jul
11:54am, 5 Jul 2024
44,997 posts
  •  
SPR
The vote share in England was redistributed. As I said in Birmingham, Labour's vote share dropped but I believe they kept the same number of seats or maybe gained (I know of one loss and one gain but a number of reduced majorities).
5 Jul
11:54am, 5 Jul 2024
5,705 posts
  •  
paulcook
paulcook wrote:Resigned.

Turns out I wasn't wrong.
5 Jul
11:56am, 5 Jul 2024
32,704 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Grast_girl wrote:K with the result. Tories out was my priority. We have more lib dem MPs than I hoped for, which is good (same for greens). Shame about the vote share for Reform given some of the comments that came from their candidates (equating autistic people to vegetables being the worse one I saw with my own eyes before it was deleted). Wish we'd got Hunt out locally, but we can't have everything, and he might go back to being more moderate now the worst of the tories are gone.

Accusing a blind candidate of "pretending to be blind" was another high spot.

But that's what you get with these stiffs.

Faragism is not inevitable and even if the unthinkable happened and he became PM he would crash and burn quickly just like Truss and Johnson. Populism frequently evaporates when it butts up against Reality. Trump will be going full-on autocrat if he gets in, which is a better approach for populists who know they have a platform hated by the voters.
5 Jul
11:59am, 5 Jul 2024
5,706 posts
  •  
paulcook
I hadn't realised there was a blind candidate. Delighted to find out that he also won. There's nowhere near representation in parliament for disabilities of all types.
5 Jul
11:59am, 5 Jul 2024
5,707 posts
  •  
paulcook
*near enough representation
jda
5 Jul
12:01pm, 5 Jul 2024
17,399 posts
  •  
jda
Fozzy assured us (repeatedly) that shy tories didn’t exist so those 24% must be something else. Illiterate greens perhaps? Or uncoordinated libdems.
5 Jul
12:01pm, 5 Jul 2024
3,671 posts
  •  
Big_G
That is my new MP, and I posted about that story earlier, but it probably got lost in all the 100s of posts overnight!
5 Jul
12:02pm, 5 Jul 2024
22,618 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Don't have time to plough through 500 posts since last night, so apologies if I've missed anything interesting or crucial cutting analysis.

Here's my personal post-mortem on my analysis and some thoughts

- Seat count on Cons higher than I expected (out of my range!) - most likely due to lower Labour vote than predicted in polls
- Lab vote down relatively significantly compared to polls (35ish% compared to 40-42%) possibly some late tactical voting shifts i.e. Lab voting LD in some seats, but also probably reflects lack of enthusiasm and low turnout.
- Greens and LDs did far better than I had thought they would - some of this in part because of lower Lab vote, but not exclusively so.
- Independents stronger than expected (Leicester, Corbyn etc) - a little surprised at this
- Some surprises in both Tory defences (Jenrick, Hunt), but also losses (Truss!)
- Reform vote share down slightly on what the polls had (up to 17%), but still higher than I my expectations - so got this wrong, hence their 4 seats.
- SNP cratered even more than I expected. Big set-back for Independence?
- Exit poll closer than I expected it to be on top 2. Always expected some volatility in smaller parties, but that 13 for Reform always felt a bit wrong.

So, quite a lot I got wrong, and some stuff definitely a surprise to me.

Right, back to work.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** Last poll winner

121 - Congrats to kstuart who predicted 121

*** Next poll will be along soon....

HappyG 270
Fenners Reborn 266
Jda 250
GeneHunt 205
Larkim 191
Mushroom 185
Bazoaxe 180
JamieKai 177
Cheg 171
Yakima Canutt 165
Chrisull 155
NDWDave 147
Macca53 138
JB 135
Derby Tup 133
Little Nemo 130
Big G 128
Kstuart 121
LindsD 120
Diogenes 117
Fields 111
B Rubble 110
Mrs Shanksi 103
J2r 101
Richmac 101
rf_fuzzy 100 (+15/-15)
simbil 99
DaveW 95
Paulcook 88
Fetch 85
Bob 72
Weean 69 and 2/3
Pothunter 50

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.