Politics

214 watchers
Aug 2023
10:26am, 10 Aug 2023
9,790 posts
  •  
Fields
Forgive me for not being very excited about being able to choose which colour bowl I get to eat my gruel from.

I would like to be able to choose an alternative to gruel.
Aug 2023
10:29am, 10 Aug 2023
30,756 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
It’s a fair challenge, and taken at the individual policy level there may be some “continuity” going on. But you must own that Labour would never have pushed out the Brexit shambles and Labour would not have pushed out the Rwanda policy or the long term defunding of education and the NHS, just to take a few examples. Austerity was a policy choice.

But across the piece and looking forward, of course Labour won’t be just like the Tories.

People continue to give themselves a permission structure - as defined and developed by the right wing media - to vote “anyone but Labour” for any single point of complaint: Starmer’s boring, but Iraq, he sold our gold, Diane Abbott - some might dress up their innate prejudice intellectually by saying “this policy or that is why they won’t get my vote” but by doing so they continue to blinker themselves to one overt truth: if you want overall progressive policies which try to unwind the depredations of 13 years of muppetry, you should vote for Labour. History shows us this and the future Labour govt will show it again.

We shall have to disagree agreeably.
Aug 2023
10:47am, 10 Aug 2023
9,792 posts
  •  
Fields
I would like to see an alternative to austerity. I don’t see one from their economic policies being put forward by Reeves, and I don’t like the authoritarian style which I see from the Labour leadership.

I am sure you sincerely believe they will undo 13 years of austerity with progressive policies but I don’t see any evidence for this.
Aug 2023
1:12pm, 10 Aug 2023
8,106 posts
  •  
Pothunter
I don’t think it is binary though (ie austerity vs no austerity). Less bad has to be a step in the right direction. It’s a journey and unfortunately there’s no magic money tree to reverse it with the stroke of a pen. Undoing the damage inflicted on the country by the Tories and Brexit will take a very long time.

(And yes, the museum is in Lee Green :-) )
Aug 2023
1:34pm, 10 Aug 2023
17,822 posts
  •  
JK *chameleon*
Undoing the damage inflicted on the country by the Tories and Brexit will take a very long time.

Herein lies the risk for me. It will cost money to pull us out of where we are, but if Labour raise taxes to pay for this, or increase borrowing, then the next election will be the usual gumph about Labour either bankrupting the country - "there's no money left" notes - or being the party of high taxes. And many won't see an improvement in their lot over the 5 years, and suddenly we're back with the Tories for another ridiculous amount of years as appears to be this country's habit.

Labour need to win hearts and minds to bring people on the journey. Right now, pretty much a dog in a red rosette could beat this floundering Tory government, but unless the current Labour leadership start becoming much more impressive, I believe it'll be a false dawn and give time and space for the Tories to reset and fix up in opposition.
jda
Aug 2023
1:47pm, 10 Aug 2023
15,291 posts
  •  
jda
Yeah currently Labour haven’t so much lost the argument as aren’t even putting up an argument.
Aug 2023
2:00pm, 10 Aug 2023
22,798 posts
  •  
richmac
People tend to be a bit dim don't they, they don't seem to be able to make the link to paying maybe .05% more tax & not dying in the back of an ambulance.
Aug 2023
5:23pm, 10 Aug 2023
63,339 posts
  •  
LindsD
That ^^
Aug 2023
2:16pm, 11 Aug 2023
3,137 posts
  •  
paulcook
And less than a week after the barge opened to asylum seekers, it's been closed because of an outbreak of Legionella's.

I'm trying not to be too cynical about it all.
Aug 2023
3:47pm, 11 Aug 2023
22,811 posts
  •  
richmac
F*ck me they can't even execute their own odious and cruel plans with half a degree of competence.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.