Politics

214 watchers
SPR
Aug 2023
12:08pm, 12 Aug 2023
42,172 posts
  •  
SPR
Labour have (or had) committed to introducing legal routes (there are none ATM). No detail on that currently and I guess it's not what they are shouting about precisely for the reasons I stated above.

It's the easiest way to stop the boats.
SPR
Aug 2023
8:28am, 13 Aug 2023
42,191 posts
  •  
SPR
"Mr Davis, who served as Shadow Home Secretary, added: "Even working properly, the Bibby barge would only take effectively one day's arrivals.

"So it's not a solution to the problem and all of this is going to go on until the Home Office manages to process these arrivals more quickly.""

bbc.co.uk
Aug 2023
8:43am, 13 Aug 2023
22,841 posts
  •  
richmac
I read that and listened to the R4 interview.

He was saying the Home office isn't for for purpose and taking about incompetence, shame no one asked him if believed that every organisation reflects it's leader.
Aug 2023
11:16am, 14 Aug 2023
410 posts
  •  
deslauriers
A good summary of the barges stupidity

twitter.com
Aug 2023
11:20am, 14 Aug 2023
30,773 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I can't read TwittX stuff. The new logo looks a wee bit fascistic to my eyes but that's just me.
Aug 2023
11:41am, 14 Aug 2023
3,147 posts
  •  
paulcook
Meanwhile, can't hit your NHS targets? Ah, just change the target time. That'll help you hit the promises Rishi.

theguardian.com
Aug 2023
11:41am, 14 Aug 2023
22,851 posts
  •  
richmac
It basically claims the barge was more expensive than other options & that it was sourced without a tender process. The post goes on to state that 'To them' this shows it's ideological.

Neither of the first two claims are sourced the third is opinion.

I have no idea who the author Phillip Preistly is
Aug 2023
11:59am, 14 Aug 2023
21,720 posts
  •  
larkim
The barge is a dead cat - there's nothing intrinsic about the barge that is wrong as a (small) solution to addressing accomodation challenges for temporary housing of asylum seekers *if properly / safely handled* without over-crowding to inappropriate levels. But it gives the racists something to grab onto (and, to a degree, the more asylum +ve people something to criticise).

All of it plays into the simplism of the current Tory offering which, over the holiday period, has enraged me pretty consistently.

I genuinely thought that Sunak would be better than Johnson in avoiding simplism. I was wrong about that.

Everything they are doing at the moment is intended to appeal to the idiot voter and their selfish attitude.

- Barges - "lock 'em up"
- Oil / gas - "climate change is made up, innit"
- ULEV - "if I want to drive my car, it's my right."
- Low traffic zones - "cyclists are a bloody nuisance, all of 'em"

I truly cannot believe how low this Tory party has sunk.
Aug 2023
12:05pm, 14 Aug 2023
3,148 posts
  •  
paulcook
But it gives the racists something to grab onto (and, to a degree, the more asylum +ve people something to criticise).

All of it plays into the simplism of the current Tory offering

Think I agree with all that.

As for ULEZ though I noted something over the weekend that Labour were going to get rid of them all. What was less clear whether they were going to replace them with something new/different.
SPR
Aug 2023
12:13pm, 14 Aug 2023
42,202 posts
  •  
SPR
The whole point of the barge is that we are giving asylum seekers worse conditions than the natives.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.