Politics

214 watchers
10:52am
10:52am, 28 Oct 2024
25,934 posts
  •  
larkim
As far as I know the bloke in the incident over the weekend was unrelated to the stalker that Amesbury had. Clearly the anxiety of MPs being targetted plays into his psyche, but by all accounts this was just "normal" handbags and taunting. There's no doubt that the other guy isn't all sweetness and light, but he's not implicated in anything more than that to my (local) knowledge.
SPR
11:02am
11:02am, 28 Oct 2024
46,529 posts
  •  
SPR
richmac wrote:How would you feel if that was footage of police ? Do we not expect similar standards ?

I thought about this earlier. The police have a role where they are expected to deal with aggressive people etc and not lose their cool. One punch is too much for that role.

May be different if the officer is off duty but it would probably be a confidence issue in that case.
11:05am
11:05am, 28 Oct 2024
23,325 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Absent currently unknown mitigating circumstances, for an MP, this is a resigning offence most likely.
11:10am
11:10am, 28 Oct 2024
25,935 posts
  •  
larkim
Wonder what the pension situation is for an MP that resigns their seat? As some of the current former MP cohort have shown, life after being in Parliament can be financial challenging; particularly if your reputation is sullied.
SPR
11:20am
11:20am, 28 Oct 2024
46,530 posts
  •  
SPR
The previous stalking and harassment may go some way to explaining that reaction to whatever happened beforehand but doesn't excuse it.
jda
11:37am
11:37am, 28 Oct 2024
18,010 posts
  •  
jda
I think if the police say no further action that will be the end of the matter. I'm not prejudging that decision, but a bit of Saturday night fisticuffs is not a vicious beating and it seems that the "incitement" may have been on the part of the victim. I think the budget will push it completely off the news. Of course a lot could depend on what the ned says. Did he comment and/or make a complaint?
11:48am
11:48am, 28 Oct 2024
57 posts
  •  
MrHSc
John Prescott got away with it so no doubt he will get a slap on the wrist and carry on as a MP.
11:54am
11:54am, 28 Oct 2024
22,169 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
MrHSc wrote:John Prescott got away with it so no doubt he will get a slap on the wrist and carry on as a MP.
The pro-hunting man who attacked Prescott in that case very clearly started the fight and Prescott responded. Once Blair & Campbell had seen the video and Charlie Falconer as Lord Chancellor had stated the legal position, they were very clear that Prescott should not resign.
11:57am
11:57am, 28 Oct 2024
25,936 posts
  •  
larkim
There's a follow up video on the local FB group which does show him laying into the guy on the floor pretty substantially. Not seen that one shared more widely, maybe the video owner is negotiating with the national press to sell it ;-)
SPR
12:00pm
12:00pm, 28 Oct 2024
46,531 posts
  •  
SPR
I think what he did is a level above John Prescott TBH. An immediate reaction to an assault Vs multiple punches to someone already down.

I don't think the police will take action though. The issue would be if higher standards are expected from an MP. Is there any action from parliament if the police don't take action?

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.