Politics

214 watchers
27 Oct
5:59pm, 27 Oct 2024
6,813 posts
  •  
paulcook
The preceding CCTV (depending how long they're stood there) and especially any further audio may be key.

What the media show, and what the police/CPS want will be very different.

But his continued attack oversteps the argument for self-defence.
27 Oct
5:59pm, 27 Oct 2024
7,830 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
I think many of us have the capacity to do something stupid that we'd immediately regret if we were pushed far enough, so yes i still have some sympathy for him.
As I said though, we don't have the full story yet so I reserve the right to change my opinion!
27 Oct
6:01pm, 27 Oct 2024
7,831 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
And yes - I agree that on the face of it the continued attack is totally unjustified
jda
27 Oct
6:11pm, 27 Oct 2024
18,005 posts
  •  
jda
Agree it looks like an over-reaction. As a benchmark, however, it's not remotely comparable to the Manchester Airport case this summer which the CPS is apparently still "considering" several months later....
27 Oct
10:23pm, 27 Oct 2024
25,925 posts
  •  
larkim
Really interesting as this is all in my home town how partisan the support for or against Mike Amesbury is, at least in the social media dialogue.

He's been a great MP to me and my family personally, and I think generally too. But I sincerely hope he resigns as no matter what happened before, he should have had his wits about him to not resort to any sort of violence which he had the chance to withdraw from.

The local intel is that the guy that got punched is a local arsehole who would very likely have baited him. But I'm happy enough as a local party member to see past any partisan leanings here. Not many others seem to be doing that though!

Still, makes the local FB group animated for a few days. We don't normally make national headlines.

I do feel for the guy though. He's stuffed his life up pretty badly in the short term.
8:19am
8:19am, 28 Oct 2024
29,838 posts
  •  
richmac
Has Prescott commented?
8:28am
8:28am, 28 Oct 2024
6,425 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
Being in a town centre at 3am is an alien world to me, I am well in the land of nod. And I know its a free world and you should be able to do whatever you choose, but do think public figures may think twice about being around some of the numpties and drunks that you get at that time of night.
8:57am
8:57am, 28 Oct 2024
25,928 posts
  •  
larkim
Most in our town are scratching their heads about which pubs are even open at 2am!

Its a very quiet town normally, but every town has it share of idiots I suppose.
SPR
9:24am
9:24am, 28 Oct 2024
46,527 posts
  •  
SPR
We want MPs to be normal people so I don't think a night out is something we should begrudge them.

MPs can't be beating up their constituents (and it doesn't look like self defence even if it started that way) even if when you
9:24am
9:24am, 28 Oct 2024
33,330 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I think Prescott burnished his reputation when he lobbed that mulleted fool. This looks very different.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.