Politics

214 watchers
26 Oct
10:34pm, 26 Oct 2024
51,243 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The Muslim community in America is very angry at Biden and by extension Harris support of Israel's aggression in Gaza and Lebanon, according to interviews in a BBC radio article I was listening to.

The irony of that community voting for Trump, who has been so hateful towards them is beyond belief.
J2R
26 Oct
10:43pm, 26 Oct 2024
5,671 posts
  •  
J2R
We've seen this with the Left here. "The left of centre option isn't nearly Left enough for me, I can't vote for them, so I'm going to let in the Right, who want to destroy everything I'm in favour of".
26 Oct
10:52pm, 26 Oct 2024
23,322 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
It's more than that J2R. They're actively voting *for* trump because they think he will bring peace...

So instead of sitting on their hands because Harris fails the left purity test, and depriving her of a vote, they also give a vote to trump.

Given Biden won Michigan by 10k, if 5k switch votes it hands him the state. And the election.
26 Oct
11:29pm, 26 Oct 2024
33,326 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
That's Muslim travel ban Trump?
26 Oct
11:40pm, 26 Oct 2024
33,327 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Put the US Embassy in Jerusalem Trump?
26 Oct
11:57pm, 26 Oct 2024
9,956 posts
  •  
simbil
That's the way it goes when people are unhappy with the current situation and so vote for 'change' if they can be convinced of any hope at all - if not they just don't vote.
No idea what Trump has done to convince folk he can deliver peace or convince anyone that he cares about the situation even.
27 Oct
8:42am, 27 Oct 2024
33,328 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
From what I've read a lot of Muslims will be voting for the Green candidate. A plague on both your houses type of thing. Better than them voting Trump I suppose.
27 Oct
8:48am, 27 Oct 2024
33,329 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Madison Square Garden for Trump tonight. I have a bad feeling about it.

https://youtu.be/0gU9op16rjQ

Worth a watch if you haven't seen this before, but it's pretty chilling.
SPR
27 Oct
9:06am, 27 Oct 2024
46,526 posts
  •  
SPR
I'm pretty sure some members of Labour didn't vote or voted for other parties in the Corbyn years. Alistair Campbell certainly did.

People have right to withhold their if they don't agree with either party and parties should feel shame about being the least worse option. I can see why Harris would lose Muslim votes, I can't see why Trump would gain them given he essentially seems to be planning to give Israel whatever they want. That probably leads to war with Iran and parts of Gaza being occupied if media reports are correct.

I agree with @simbil about the change thing though. That's especially how it goes when neither side is trying to get your vote (at least that's how it seems from the outside).
27 Oct
9:20am, 27 Oct 2024
6,806 posts
  •  
paulcook
SPR wrote:People have right to withhold their if they don't agree with either party and parties should feel shame about being the least worse option.

A basic democratic right. Just go vote, I might have my own choice, but I would never begrudge anyone making any choice they want to do. Otherwise democracy fails and is a sham.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.