Johnny Blaze
Lobbed = blobbed
SPR
9:24am
9:24am, 28 Oct 2024
46,528 posts
  •  
SPR
...even if when you hear what happened you might have some sympathy.
9:33am
9:33am, 28 Oct 2024
25,930 posts
  •  
larkim
Agree with SPR. Amesbury is perfectly entitled to get rat-arsed on a night out like anyone else. But he lost his cool, almost no matter what the previous context was. There's no point being partisan about it; if this was a Tory MP or a Reform MP I'd say exactly the same, though I might have some more glee about it if I'm honest.

The Party has done the right thing to suspend him and let the police handle the enquiry. But in the court of public opinion, unless there was footage of the guy doing something completely unacceptable (e.g. groping the MPs wife or daughter for example, neither of which I believe are real scenarios that happened) then the court of public opinion has made it's mind up both locally and nationally so there should be no option but to resign. I aspire to that level of individual responsibility in Labour MPs. I hope Mike lives up to it.
9:34am
9:34am, 28 Oct 2024
22,165 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
larkim wrote: Its a very quiet town normally, but every town has it share of idiots I suppose.
Having grown up in Runcorn, fifty-something blokes having punch-ups at 2am would've been entirely unremarkable in the 1980s. Frodsham would be one bit of his constituency where you wouldn't have expected it.
jda
9:42am
9:42am, 28 Oct 2024
18,008 posts
  •  
jda
I haven't seen much in the "court of public opinion". 5live today is people whinging about tax, not punches. I agree it looks like a bit of an over-reaction, whether it reaches the threshold where a prosecution is likely, I don't think that is at all clear but we shall see...
9:53am
9:53am, 28 Oct 2024
25,932 posts
  •  
larkim
He's on video punching another bloke. For most people that will be enough in the court of public opinion; I agree, it's hardly the stuff that is firing up breakfast tables across the country with discussion though!!
jda
9:57am
9:57am, 28 Oct 2024
18,009 posts
  •  
jda
So where do you get this "court of public opinion" thing from? Your local facebook page or something else?
10:04am
10:04am, 28 Oct 2024
25,933 posts
  •  
larkim
Local FB for sure. The comments I've read on twitter linked to the story. The presentation by the press of the incident. Comments on news articles (e.g. on this one metro.co.uk to avoid linking to too much RW press). There looks like zero sympathy for Amesbury. Or vanishingly little.

I know I get carried away some times, but do you not really think that there's an open and shut case in terms of the info that anyone knows about this incident so far that paints a picture of activity that most would consider to be a resigning matter for an MP? Especially today in the context of a Labour govt and MPs, including Amesbury, who have pointed to the necessary sanctions for violent incitement and behaviour during the post-Southport riots.
10:33am
10:33am, 28 Oct 2024
29,841 posts
  •  
richmac
Think it's the continued belting after the bloke was on the floor that people are alarmed at.

If he'd floored the guy with a single blow then backed off it wouldn't be an issue

How would you feel if that was footage of police ? Do we not expect similar standards ?
10:48am
10:48am, 28 Oct 2024
6,814 posts
  •  
paulcook
larkim may know more, but there's been very little mention of the man he attacked. I say that partly because there's a couple of stories of Amesbury being stalked or followed in the past. Not sure it's a defence for Amesbury, but would be some mitigation if it's the same fella and the intimidation / provocation is more long-standing rather than one comment or gesture, etc, on the night itself.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.