Politics

214 watchers
27 Oct
9:48am, 27 Oct 2024
51,248 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Obviously no one saying you *can't* vote for A or B, the discussion was why oh why would you vote for a person or party who is clearly against you, your community and most of your interest and principles?

I suppose the answer for America Muslims is actually very principled - solidarity with Gaza and Lebanon is more important to them than there own advantages or disadvantages under the govt at home? If they think Democrats more likely to support Israel with weapons and backing than Trump, the that is there overriding consideration.

They're probably right that Trump, because if ignorance, selfishness, not principle or politics, may well give Israel less support. You really dint know with Trump. He's random based on ego and self interest!
27 Oct
10:16am, 27 Oct 2024
23,323 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
If you think Trump isn't going to come down on the side of Netanyhu, then I'm afraid you've not been paying attention.

Trump's "peace" will likely to be to allow the Israeli govt to annex the west bank and Gaza. Then it's not a war, it's a police action.

He'll do the similar in Ukraine.
27 Oct
11:22am, 27 Oct 2024
32,953 posts
  •  
macca 53
HappyG(rrr) wrote:Obviously no one saying you *can't* vote for A or B, the discussion was why oh why would you vote for a person or party who is clearly against you, your community and most of your interest and principles?

This thread has spent a lot of years asking that very same question about the UK….
jda
27 Oct
3:43pm, 27 Oct 2024
18,001 posts
  •  
jda
Muslims for Trump is an odd one, but we had farmers and fishermen (and Fields!) for Brexit despite it being pretty obvious that it was unlikely to be in their interests….
27 Oct
5:01pm, 27 Oct 2024
6,809 posts
  •  
paulcook
larkim wrote:Oh dear, my MP has got himself some national press... metro.co.uk

Maybe 5 or 6 punches.

Think you might be looking for a new MP by the end of tomorrow.
jda
27 Oct
5:28pm, 27 Oct 2024
18,002 posts
  •  
jda
Sounded to me like it could be reasonably described as self defence given that he was going on about having been threatened (and also a previous history of same). But very much speculation of course.
27 Oct
5:34pm, 27 Oct 2024
6,810 posts
  •  
paulcook
I'm not convinced of the self-defence argument:

news.sky.com
27 Oct
5:41pm, 27 Oct 2024
7,829 posts
  •  
ThorntonRunner
Clearly we don't have the full story and his actions are probably at best unwise, but after the murder of two mps in the last few years and reports of the regularity of threats made against mps and councillors I must admit to having some sympathy for him. It must be a massive strain and it doesn't surprise me that someone snaps in the face of another threat
27 Oct
5:44pm, 27 Oct 2024
6,812 posts
  •  
paulcook
Sucker punch with his opponent hands in pockets. Lands several blows while the other man on the floor. No, I've little (no?) sympathy.
jda
27 Oct
5:54pm, 27 Oct 2024
18,004 posts
  •  
jda
Sucker punch?

"Unprovoked and without warning"?

Hardly. But we'll see what evidence comes out about threats and provocations.

About This Thread

Maintained by Chrisull
Name-calling will be called out, and Ad hominem will be frowned upon. :-) And whatabout-ery sits somewhere above responding to tone and below contradiction.

*** NEW US election PREDICTOR *** Predict:

1) Number of electoral college votes Democrats get
2) Party to win the Senate (Democrat or Republican)
3) Party to win the House (Democrat or Republican)

Do the prediction like this: 312 D D - you win if you get the first number right and no-one else does.

Johnny Blaze 360 R D
Bob 312 D D
EarlyRiser 306 R D
LindsD 298 R D
J2R 296 R D
Chrisull 276 R D
JamieKai 270 D R
Larkim 268 R R
TROSaracen 226 R R
PaulCook 0 G G

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.